Imaging Temporal Pitch Processing in the Auditory Pathway
Physiological studies of temporal pitch processing suggest that the processing of temporal regularity begins in the brainstem (e.g., Palmer and Winter 1992), which suggests that there is a hierarchy of temporal pitch processing in the auditory pathway as would be expected from computational models of auditory perception (e.g., Patterson et al. 1995; Pressnitzer et al. 2001). This chapter reports a series of brain imaging studies designed to search for evidence of the hierarchy.
KeywordsAuditory Cortex Auditory Pathway Primary Auditory Cortex Planum Temporale Temporal Regularity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gutschalk A, Patterson RD, Scherg M, Uppenkamp S, Rupp A (2006) The effect of context on the sustained pitch response in human auditory cortex. Cerebral Cortex (in press).Google Scholar
- Palmer AR, Winter IM (1992) Cochlear nerve and cochlear nucleus responses to the fundamental frequency of voiced speech sounds and harmonic complex tones. In: Cazals Y, Demany L, Horner K (eds) Auditory physiology and perception. Pergamon, Oxford, pp 231–239.Google Scholar
- Palmer AR, Bullock DC, Chambers JD (1998) A high-ouput, high-quality sound system for use in auditory fMRI. NeuroImage 7:S359.Google Scholar
- Rupp A, Uppenkamp S, Bailes J, Gutschalk A, Patterson RD (2005) Time constants in temporal pitch extraction: a comparison of psychophysical and neuromagnetic data. In: Pressnitzer D, de Chevigne A, McAdams S, Collet L (eds) Proc. 13th ISH; Auditory signal processing: physiology, psychoacoustics and models. Dourdan, France, pp 119–125.Google Scholar
- Seither-Preisler A, Patterson RD, Krumbholz K, Seither S, Lutkenhoner B (2006b) From noise to pitch: transient and sustained responses of the auditory evoked field. Hear Res (in press).Google Scholar
- Uppenkamp S, Bailes J, Patterson RD (2004) How long does a sound have to be to produce a temporal pitch? Proc. 18th International Congress on Acoustics, Kyoto, vol. I, pp 869–870.Google Scholar
- Warren JD, Uppenkamp S, Patterson RD, Griffiths TD (2003) Separating pitch chroma and pitch height in the human brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci Vol 100, No 17, pp 10, 038–10, 042.Google Scholar
- Patterson RD, Robinson K, Holdsworth J, McKeown D, Zhang C, Allerhand M (1992) Complex sounds and auditory images. In: Cazals Y, Demany L, Horner K (eds) Auditory physiology and perception. Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Hearing. Pergamon, Oxford, 429–446.Google Scholar
- Patterson RD, Irino T (1998) Auditory temporal asymmetry and autocorrelation. In: Palmer A, Rees A, Summerfield Q, Meddis R (eds) Psychophysical and physiological advances in hearing. Proceedings of the 11th International Symposium on Hearing, Whurr, London, pp 554–562.Google Scholar
- Patterson RD, Anderson TR, Francis K (2006) Binaural auditory images for noise-resistant speech recognition. In: Ainsworth W, Greenberg S (eds) Listening to speech. LEA, pp 257–269.Google Scholar