Intelligent Detection of Voltage Instability in Power Distribution Systems
Real-life applications of intelligent systems that use neural networks require a high degree of success, usability and reliability. Power systems applications can benefit from such intelligent systems; particularly for voltage stabilization. Voltage instability in power distribution systems could lead to voltage collapse and thus power blackouts. This paper presents an intelligent system which detects voltage instability and classifies voltage output of an assumed power distribution system (PDS) as: stable, unstable or overload. The novelty of our work is the use of voltage output images as the input patterns to the neural network for training and generalizing purposes, thus providing a faster instability detection system that simulates a trained operator controlling and monitoring the 3-phase voltage output of the assumed PDS. Experimental results suggest that our method performs well and provides a fast and efficient system for voltage instability detection.
KeywordsNeural networks Intelligent Systems Image Processing Voltage Instability Detection Power Distribution Systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Lukomski, R., Wilkosz, K.: Power System Topology Verification Using Artificial Neural Network Utilization of Measurement Data. In: IEEE Power Tech. Conference, pp. 180–186 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Wenxin, L., Venayagamoorthy, G.K., Wunsch, D.C.: Adaptive Neural Network Based Power System Stabilizer Design. In: IEEE Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, vol. 4, pp. 2970–2975 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Keyhani, A., Wenzhe, L., Heydt, G.T.: Neural Network Based Composite Load Models for Power System Stability Analysis. In: IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence for Measurement Systems and Applications, pp. 32–37 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Amjady, N.: Application of a New Neural Network to On-line Voltage Stability Assessment. Journal of. Elect. and Comp. Eng. 25(2), 69–75 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Chicco, G., Napoli, R.: Neural Network for Fast Voltage Prediction in Power Systems. In: IEEE Power Tech. Conference, pp. 312–316 (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Bansilal, T.D., Harish Kashyap, K.: Artificial Neural Network Application to Power System Voltage Stability Improvement. In: IEEE International Conference on Convergent Technologies for the Asia-Pacific Region, vol. 1, pp. 53–57 (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Kamalasadan, S., Srivastava, A.K., Thukaram, D.: Novel Algorithm for Online Voltage Stability Assessment Based on Feed Forward Neural Network. In: IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting, Montreal, Canada, pp. 1–7 (2006)Google Scholar