Analysis of the Influence of Video-Aware Traffic Management on the Performance of the Dejittering Mechanism
IPTV over DSL access networks is becoming a reality. This paper studies the impact of the presence of a video-aware traffic management module in the access network on the performance of the video dejittering mechanism at the receiver. The presented numerical results illustrate that with the traffic management module, the packet loss probability at the dejittering buffer decreases. Since the traffic management module will only drop the least important enhancement layer packets of the video in case of congestion, especially the important base layer packets of the video gain from the use of the traffic management module. All results in this paper are obtained using a mathematical model.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sharpe, R., Zriny, D., De Vleeschauwer, D.: Access network enhancements for the delivery of video services. Alcatel Telecom Review (ATR), 134–140 (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Schwarz, H., Marpe, D., Wiegand, T.: Overview of the scalable H.264/MPEG4-AVC extension. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP’06), IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Kohler, E., Handley, M., Floyd, S.: Datagram congestion control protocol (DCCP). RFC 4340 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Anderson, N.: An introduction to IPTV (2006), http://arstechnica.com/guides/other/iptv.ars/
- 5.Perkins, C.: RTP - Audio and Video for the Internet. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2003)Google Scholar