Agile Software Development of Mobile Information Systems
Agile software development methods are quickly being adopted by the software industry. Concerns have been raised whether agile methods are suitable for any given information systems development domain. Indeed, quite little is known empirically about the validity of agile methods in most of the industrial domains. Mobile information systems present no exception in this sense. Yet, they are subject to frequent requirements changes in terms of changing business needs and technology, and their market is highly competitive. Moreover, most of these systems are far away from so called agile home ground. This talk presents the need for agile methods in the focal domain, identifies their shortcomings on the basis of three large-scale case studies from industry. All of the cases deal with the development of mobile information system and come from Nokia, F-Secure and Philips. The talk also discusses the possible strategies for deploying agile solutions in practice.
KeywordsAgile software development case study mobile information systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Larman, C., Basili, V.R.: Iterative and incremental development: A brief history. IEEE Software 20, 47–56 (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Melnik, G., Williams, L., Geras, A.: Empirical Evaluation of Agile Processes. In: Wells, D., Williams, L. (eds.) Extreme Programming and Agile Methods - XP/Agile Universe 2002. LNCS, vol. 2418, Springer, Heidelberg (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Lindvall, M., Basili, V.R., Boehm, B.W., Costa, P., Dangle, K., Shull, F., Tesoriero, R., Williams, L.A., Zelkowitz, M.V.: Empirical findings in agile methods. In: Wells, D., Williams, L. (eds.) Extreme Programming and Agile Methods - XP/Agile Universe 2002. LNCS, vol. 2418, Springer, Heidelberg (2002)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Iskanius, P.: An agile supply chain for a project-oriented steel product network, in Department of Industrial Engineering, University of Oulu, Oulu (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Baskerville, R., Levine, L., Pries-Heje, J., Ramesh, B., Slaughter, S.: How Internet companies negotiate quality. IEEE Computer 5, 51–57 (2001)Google Scholar