A Probabilistic Formal Analysis Approach to Cross Layer Optimization in Distributed Embedded Systems
We present a novel approach, based on probabilistic formal methods, to developing cross-layer resource optimization policies for resource limited distributed systems. One objective of this approach is to enable system designers to analyze designs in order to study design tradeoffs and predict the possible property violations as the system evolves dynamically over time. Specifically, an executable formal specification is developed for each layer under consideration (for example, application, middleware, operating system). The formal specification is then analyzed using statistical model checking and statistical quantitative analysis, to determine the impact of various resource management policies for achieving desired end-to-end QoS properties. We describe how existing statistical approaches have been adapted and improved to provide analyses of given cross-layered optimization policies with quantifiable confidence. The ideas are tested in a multi-mode multi-media case study. Experiments from both theoretical analysis and Monte-Carlo simulation followed by statistical analyses demonstrate the applicability of this approach to the design of resource-limited distributed systems.
KeywordsProbabilistic Formal Methods Statistical Analysis Cross-layer Optimization Resource Management
- 1.Forge Project: http://forge.ics.uci.edu
- 2.Mohapatra, S., Cornea, R., Oh, H., Lee, K., Kim, M., Dutt, N.D., Gupta, R., Nicolau, A., Shukla, S.K., Venkatasubramanian, N.: A cross-layer approach for power-performance optimization in distributed mobile systems. In: IPDPS ’05. International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Kim, M., Dutt, N., Venkatasubramanian, N.: Policy construction and validation for energy minimization in cross layered systems: A formal method approach. In: Real-Time and Embedded Technology and Applications Symposium (RTAS ’06) Work-in-Progress Session. pp. 25–28 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Kim, D., Kim, M., Ha, S.: A Case Study of System Level Specification and Software Synthesis of Multimode Multimedia Terminal. In: Embedded Systems for Real-Time Multimedia (ESTImedia ’03), pp. 57–64 (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Real-Time Maude 2.2: http://www.ifi.uio.no/RealTimeMaude.
- 18.Hogg, R., Craig, A.: Introduction to Mathematical Statistics. 5th edn. (1995)Google Scholar
- 20.Image Process Lab. Univ. British Columbia: TMN 10 (H.263+), ver. 3.2.0 (1998)Google Scholar
- 22.Kim, M., Stehr, M.O., Talcott, C., Dutt, N., Venkatasubramanian, N.: Modeling and Exploiting Cross-Layer Optimization in Distributed Embedded Systems. Technical Report SRI-CSL-07-02, SRI International (February 2007)Google Scholar