Beam-ACO Distributed Optimization Applied to Supply-Chain Management
The distributed optimization paradigm based on Ant Colony Optimization (ACO) is a new management technique that uses the pheromone matrix to exchange information between the different subsystems to be optimized in the supply-chain. This paper proposes the use of the hybrid algorithm Beam-ACO, that fuses Beam-Search and ACO, to implement the same management concept. The Beam-ACO algorithm is used here to optimize the supplying, the distributer and the logistic agents of the supply-chain. Further, this paper implements the concept in a software platform that allows the pheromone matrix exchange through the different agents, using the TCP/IP protocol and data base systems. The results show that the distributed optimization paradigm can still be applied on supply chains where the different agents are optimized by different algorithms and that the use of the Beam-ACO in the supplying agent improves the local and the global results of the supply chain.
KeywordsSupply Chain Schedule Problem Logistic System Vehicle Route Problem Software Platform
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bullnheimer, B., Hartl, R.R., Strauss, C.: Applying the ant system to the vehicle routing problem. In: Osman, I.H., Voß, S., Martello, S., Roucairol, C. (eds.) Meta-heuristics: Advances and Trends in local search paradigms for optimization, pp. 109–120. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Pinedo, M.: Scheduling Theory, Algorithms, and Systems. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Silva, C.A.: Distributed Supply Chain Management using Ant Colony Optimization. Ph.d. thesis, Instituto Superior Técnico, Technical University of Lisbon (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Silva, C.A., Runkler, T.A., Sousa, J.M., Sá da Costa, J.M.: Optimization of logistic processes in supply-chains using meta-heuristics. In: Proceedings of 11th Portuguese Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 9–23. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Silva, C.A., Sousa, J.M.C., Runkler, T.A., Sá da Costa, J.: A multi-agent approach for supply chain management using ant colony optimization. In: Proc. IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, IEEE–SMC 2004, The Hague, The Netherlands, October 2004, pp. 1938–1943 (2004)Google Scholar