Mechanical Properties, Thermal Stability and Heat Transport in Carbon Nanotubes
Ever since the discovery of carbon nanotubes (CNTs) in the early 1990s, it wasanticipated that these nanostructures would have truly remarkable mechanical andheat-transport properties, given the strength of the carbon-carbon bond withingraphene layers in graphite. Nowadays, there is growing evidence, coming fromboth experimental and theoretical studies, that CNTs do indeed have anoutstandingly high Young’s modulus, high thermal stability and thermalconductivity. In this contribution, we provide an overview of the current stateof knowledge on these properties in CNTs and related nanostructures.
KeywordsThermal Conductivity Carbon Nanotubes Boron Nitride Heat Transport Umklapp Scattering
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T. Iwai, H. Shioya, D. Kondo, S. Hirose, A. Kawabata, S. Sato, M. Nihei, T. Kikkawa, K. Joshin, Y. Awano, N. Yokoyama: Thermal and source bumps utilizing carbon nanotubes for flip-chip high power amplifiers, IEEE IEDM Tech. Digest 257 (2005) Google Scholar
- L. D. Landau, E. M. Lifshitz: Theory of Elasticity (Pergamon, Oxford 1986) Google Scholar
- B. I. Yakobson, P. Avouris: in M. Dresselhaus, G. E. Dresselhaus, P. Avouris (Eds.): Carbon Nanotubes, Synthesis, Structure, Properties and Applications, Top. Appl. Phys. 80 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 2001) pp. 287–328 Google Scholar
- S. Reich, C. Thomsen, J. Maultzsch: Carbon Nanotubes, Basic Concepts and Physical Properties (Wiley-VCH 2004) Google Scholar
- J. Hone: in M. Dresselhaus, G. E. Dresselhaus, P. Avouris (Eds.): Carbon Nanotubes, Synthesis, Structure, Properties and Applications, Top. Appl. Phys. 80 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 2001) pp. 287–328 Google Scholar
- B. T. Kelly: Physics of Graphite (Applied Science, London 1981) Google Scholar
- E. Hernández, C. Goze, P. Bernier, A. Rubio: Elastic properties of singlewall nanotubes, Appl. Phys. A 68, 287 (1999) Google Scholar
- B. I. Yakobson: in Proceedings of the Recent Advances in the Chemistry and Physics of Fullerenes and Related Materials, vol. 97 (Electrochem. Soc., Pennington 1997) p. 549 Google Scholar
- R. E. Peierls: Quantum Theory of Solid (Oxford University Press, New York 1955) Google Scholar
- J. M. Ziman: Electrons and Phonons (Oxford University Press, London 1960) Google Scholar
- R. P. Feynman: There is plenty of room at the bottom, Eng. Sci. (Feb. 1960) Google Scholar