A Variational Approach for 3D Motion Estimation of Incompressible PIV Flows
Estimation of motion has many applications in fluid analysis. Lots of work has been carried out using Particle Image Velocimetry to design experiments which capture and measure the flow motion using 2D images. Recent technological advances allow capturing 3D PIV image sequences of moving particles. In this context, we propose a new three-dimensional variational (energy-based) technique. Our technique is based on solenoidal projection to take into account the incompressibility of the real flow. It uses the result of standard flow motion estimation techniques like iterative cross-correlation or pyramidal optical flow as an initialization, and improves significantly their accuracies. The performance of the proposed technique is measured and illustrated using numerical simulations.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Raffel, M., Willert, C., Kompenhans, J.: Particle Image Velocimetry. A Practical Guide. Springer, Heidelberg (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Royer, H., Stanislas, M.: Stereoscopic and holographic approaches to get the third velocity component in piv. Von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics, Lecture Series, vol. 3 (1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Horn, B., Schunck, B.: Determining optical flow. MIT Aritificial Intelligence Laboratory (April 1980)Google Scholar
- 7.Beauchemin, S.S., Barron, J.L.: The computation of optical flow. ACM Computing Surveys 27(3), 433–467 (1995), http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/beauchemin95computation.html CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.White, F.: Viscous Fluid Flow. McGraw-Hill, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Parnaudeau, P., et al.: Experimental and numerical studies of the flow over a circular cylinder at reynolds number 3900. Physics of Fluids (submitted) (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.Yuan, J., et al.: Discrete orthogonal decomposition and variational fluid flow estimation. In: Kimmel, R., Sochen, N.A., Weickert, J. (eds.) Scale-Space 2005. LNCS, vol. 3459, pp. 267–278. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar