TCP Contention Control: A Cross Layer Approach to Improve TCP Performance in Multihop Ad Hoc Networks
It is well known that one of the critical sources of TCP poor performance in multihop ad hoc networks lies in the TCP window mechanism that controls the amount of traffic sent into the network. In this paper, we propose a novel cross layer solution called “TCP Contention Control” that dynamically adjusts the amount of outstanding data in the network based on the level of contention experienced by packets as well as the throughput achieved by connections. Our simulation results show TCP Contention Control can drastically improve TCP performance over 802.11 multihop ad hoc networks.
KeywordsContention Multiple ad hoc Networks TCP Congestion Control
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fu, Z., Meng, X., Lu, S.: How Bad TCP Can Perform in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. In: IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Hamadani, E., Rakocevic, V.: Evaluating and Improving TCP Performance Against Contention Losses in Multihop Ad Hoc Networks. In: IFIP International Conference (MWCN), Marrakech, Morocco (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Stevens, W.: RFC 2001 - TCP Slow Start, Congestion Avoidance, Fast Retransmit, and Fast Recovery Algorithms.Technical Report (Jan. 1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Allman, M., Paxson, V., Stevens, W.: RFC 2581 - TCP Congestion Control.Technical Report (Apr. 1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Chen, K., Nahrstedt, K.: Limitations of Equation-Based Congestion Control in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proceedings - 24th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems Workshops, Mar. 23-24 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Ware, C., et al.: Unfairness and Capture Behaviour in 802.11 Adhoc Networks. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.IEEE Standards for Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY), Part 11: Technical Specifications (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Xu, K., et al.: TCP Behavior Across Multihop Wireless Networks and the Wired Internet. In: Proceedings of the Fifth ACM International Workshop on Wireless Mobile Multimedia (WOWMOM 2002), Sep. 28 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.OPNET simulator, http://www.opnet.com
- 13.Anastasi, G., Conti, M., Gregori, E.: IEEE 802.11b Ad Hoc Networks: Performance Measurements (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Hamadani, E., Rakocevic, V.: Enhancing Fairness and Stability in Multihop Ad Hoc Networks Using Fair Backoff Algorithm. Submitted to IEEE International Conference on Communications (2006)Google Scholar