Replenishment Planning for Stochastic Inventory Systems with Shortage Cost
One of the most important policies adopted in inventory control is the (R,S) policy (also known as the “replenishment cycle” policy). Under the non-stationary demand assumption the (R,S) policy takes the form (Rn,Sn) where Rn denotes the length of the nth replenishment cycle, and Sn the corresponding order-up-to-level. Such a policy provides an effective means of damping planning instability and coping with demand uncertainty. In this paper we develop a CP approach able to compute optimal (Rn,Sn) policy parameters under stochastic demand, ordering, holding and shortage costs. The convexity of the cost-function is exploited during the search to compute bounds. We use the optimal solutions to analyze the quality of the solutions provided by an approximate MIP approach that exploits a piecewise linear approximation for the cost function.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Tarim, S.A., Smith, B.: Constraint Programming for Computing Non-Stationary (R,S) Inventory Policies. European Journal of Operational Research (to appear)Google Scholar
- 5.Tarim, S.A.: Dynamic Lotsizing Models for Stochastic Demand in Single and Multi-Echelon Inventory Systems. PhD Thesis, Lancaster University (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Silver, E.A., Pyke, D.F., Peterson, R.: Inventory Management and Production Planning and Scheduling. John Wiley and Sons, New York (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Porteus, E.L.: Foundations of Stochastic Inventory Theory. Stanford University Press, Stanford (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Apt, K.: Principles of Constraint Programming. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2003)Google Scholar
- 13.Lustig, I.J., Puget, J.-F.: Program Does Not Equal Program: Constraint Programming and its Relationship to Mathematical Programming. Interfaces 31, 29–53 (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.Focacci, F., Lodi, A., Milano, M.: Cost-Based Domain Filtering. In: Jaffar, J. (ed.) CP 1999. LNCS, vol. 1713, pp. 189–203. Springer, Heidelberg (1999)Google Scholar
- 16.Laburthe, F., OCRE project team: Choco: Implementing a CP Kernel. Bouygues e-Lab, FranceGoogle Scholar
- 17.Hadley, G., Whitin, T.M.: Analysis of Inventory Systems. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1964)Google Scholar