An Improved Algorithm for Eleman Neural Network by Adding a Modified Error Function
The Eleman Neural Network has been widely used in various fields ranging from temporal version of the Exclusive-OR function to the discovery of syntactic categories in natural language date. However, one of the problems often associated with this type of network is the local minima problem which usually occurs in the process of the learning. To solve this problem, we have proposed an error function which can harmonize the update weights connected to the hidden layer and those connected to the output layer by adding one term to the conventional error function. It can avoid the local minima problem caused by this disharmony. We applied this method to the Boolean Series Prediction Questions problems to demonstrate its validity. The result shows that the proposed method can avoid the local minima problem and largely accelerate the speed of the convergence and get good results for the prediction tasks.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Jordan, M.I.: Attractor Dynamics and Parallelism in a Connectionsist Sequential Machine. In: Proceedings of the 8th Conference on Cognitive Science, pp. 531–546 (1986)Google Scholar
- 4.Stagge, P., Sendhoff, B.: Organisation of Past States in Recurrent Neural Networks: Implicit Embedding. In: Mohammadian, M. (ed.) Computational Intelligence for Modelling, Control & Automation, pp. 21–27. IOS Press, Amsterdam (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Pham, D.T., Liu, X.: Identification of Linear and Nonlinear Dynamic Systems Using Recurrent Neural Networks. Artificial Intelligence in Engineering 8, 90–97 (1993)Google Scholar
- 6.Smith, A.: Branch Prediction with Neural Networks: Hidden Layers and Recurrent Connections. Department of Computer Science University of California, San Diego La Jolla, CA 92307 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Kwok, D.P., Wang, P., Zhou, K.: Process Identification Using a Modified Eleman Neural Network. In: International Symposium on Speech, Image Processing and Neural Networks, pp. 499–502 (1994)Google Scholar
- 9.Gao, X.Z., Gao, X.M., Ovaska, S.J.: A Modified Eleman Neural Network Model with Application to Dynamical Systems Identification. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on System, Man and Cybernetics, vol. 2, pp. 1376–1381 (1996)Google Scholar
- 10.Chagra, W., Abdennour, R.B., Bouani, F., Ksouri, M., Favier, G.: A Comparative Study on the Channel Modeling Using Feedforward and Recurrent Neural Network Structures. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on System, Man and Cybernetics, vol. 4, pp. 3759–3763 (1998)Google Scholar
- 11.Kalinli, A., Sagiroglu, S.: Eleman Network with Embedded Memory for System Identification. Journal of Informaiton Science and Engineering 22, 1555–1668 (2006)Google Scholar