Edge Detection Combined Entropy Threshold and Self-Organizing Map (SOM)
An edge detection method by combining image entropy and Self -Organizing Map (SOM) is proposed in this paper. First, according to information theory image entropy is used to curve up the smooth region and the region of gray level abruptly changed. Then we transform the gray level image to ideal binary pattern of pixels. We define six classes’ edge and six edge prototype vectors. These edge prototype vectors are fed into input layer of the Self-Organizing Map (SOM). Classifying the type of edge through this network, the edge image is obtained. At last, the speckle edges are discarded from the edge image. Experimental results show that it gained better edge image compared with Canny edge detection method.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Haddon, J.F., Boyce, J.F.: Image Segmentation by Unifying Region and Boundary Information. IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 12 (1990)Google Scholar
- 2.Fan, J.P., Yau, D.K.Y., Elmagarmid, A.K., Aref, W.G.: Automatic image segmentation by integrating color-edge extractionand seeded region growing. IEEE Trans. on Image Processing 10(10) (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Xu, X.H., Zhang, A.: Entropic Thresholding Method Based on Particle Swarm Optimization for Image Segmentation. Computer Engineering and Applications 10, 8–11 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Wang, R., Gao, L.Q., Yang, S., Liu, Y.C.: An Edge Detection Method by Combining Fuzzy Logic and Neural Network. In: Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, Guangzhou, pp. 4539–4543 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Dokur, Z.: A Unified Framework for Image Compression and Segmentation by Using an Incremental Neural Network. Expert Systems with Applications 5, 1–9 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Kohonen, T.: Self Organizing Maps. Springer, Heidelberg (1995)Google Scholar