Fabrication of MBE High-κ MOSFETs in a Standard CMOS Flow
For the first time MOSFET transistor performance featuring dielectric Lanthanum Hafnium Oxide (LHO) deposited by molecular beam epitaxy are presented. These dielectrics were deposited on a SiO2-like surface and integrated into a conventional etched-gate flow featuring TaN as gate electrode. The results for reference HfO2 deposited in the same MBE tool are comparable to standard (atomic layer deposited) HfO2 in the same process flow. Long-channel LHO devices exhibit reasonably good performance, while short-channel devices are sensitive to some process issues. LHO devices exhibit excellent leakage and minimal Vt-instability compared to HfO2.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Many papers in recent International Electron devices meeting and VLSI sym-posium deal with the high-k integration. For a recent review see High -κ Gate Dielectrics (ed. by M. Houssa, IOP, London, 2003)Google Scholar
- 3.D.A. Buchanan, E.P. Gusev, E. Cartier, et al., “80 nm Poly-Silicon Gated n-FETs with Ultra-Thin Al 203 Gate Dielectric for ULSI Applications,” IEDM Tech. Dig., 223-226 (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.J.W. Seo, J. Fompeyrine, A. Guiller, G. Norga, C. Marchiori, H. Siegwart, and J.-P. Locquet, Appl. Phys. Lett., 83, 5211 (2003) and A. Dimoulas, G. Vellianitis, G. Mavrou, G. Apostopoulos, A. Travlos, C. Wiemer, M. Fanciulli, and Z.M. Rittersma, Appl. Phys. Lett. 85, 3205 (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.T. Schram, S. Beckx, S. De Gendt, J. Vertommen, and S. Lee, Solid State Tech., 61-64 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.J.C. Lee, High-k dielectrics and MOSFET characteristics, IEDM, 95-98, 2003Google Scholar
- 7.A. Kerber, E. Cartier, L. Pantisano, M. Rosmeulen, R. Degraeve, T. Kauerauf, G. Groeseneken, H.E. Maes, U. Schwalke, Int. Rel. Phys. Symp., (IEEE, NJ, 2003),41-45Google Scholar