Experimental and Numerical Investigations of Boundary-Layer Influence Using Plasma-Actuators
This is a fundamental study about the influence of plasma-actuators on boundary-layer flows, including both experimental and numerical investigations. The first set of experiments is conducted in quiescent air and these results are used to calibrate a numerical model which simulates the plasma-actuator in an existing RANS (Reynolds Averaged Navier-Stokes) code. The second set of experiments involves a flat-plate boundary layer at various free-stream velocities, where the actuator adds momentum to the boundary layer. The previously calibrated numerical model is used to simulate the influence of the actuator on the boundary layer. The agreement between simulation and experiment is very good and the simulations with the new model be considered a reliable predictive tool.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Corke, T.C., Matlis, E. (2000) Phased plasma arrays for unsteady flow control. Fluids 2000 Conference and Exhibit, Denver, CO, June 19–22, 2000, AIAA-2000-2323Google Scholar
- Corke, T.C., He, C. (2004) Plasma Flaps and Plasma Slats: An Application of Weakly-Ionized Plasma Actuators. 2nd AIAA Flow Control Conference, Portland, Oregon, June 28–1, 2004, AIAA-2004-2127Google Scholar
- Font, G.I., Morgan, W. (2005) Plasma Discharges in Atmospheric Pressure Oxygen for Boundary Layer Separation Control, 35th AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference and Exhibit, Toronto, Ontario, June 6–9, 2005, AIAA-2005-4632Google Scholar
- Grundmann, S., Tropea, C. (2005) Gepulste Plasma Actuatoren zur aktiven Grenzschichtbeeinflussung. 12. STAB Workshop 2005, DLR GöttingenGoogle Scholar
- Jacob, J., Rivir, R., Campbell, C., Estevedoreal, J. (2004) Boundary Layer Flow Control Using AC Discharge Plasma Actuators. 2nd Flow Control Conference, Portland, OR, AIAA-2004-2128Google Scholar
- Jayaraman, B., Shyy, W. (2003) Flow Control and Thermal Management Using Dielectric Glow Discharge Concepts. 33rd AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference and Exhibit, Orlando, Florida, June 23–26, 2003, AIAA-2003-3712Google Scholar
- Orlov, D., Corke, T. (2005) Numerical Simulation of Aerodynamic Plasma Actuator Effects. AIAA 43rd Aerospace Sciences Meeting, 10–13 January 2005, AIAA 2005-1083Google Scholar
- Roth, J.R. (2003) Aerodynamic Flow Acceleration using Paraelectric and Peristaltic Electrohydrodynamic (EHD) Effects of a One Atmosphere Uniform Glow Discharge Plasma, Physics of Plasmas, Vol. 10, No. 5Google Scholar