Reliability Assessment of Ensemble Classifiers: Application in Mammography
In classifier ensembles predictions of different classifiers regarding a query are combined into one final decision. It was previously shown that using ensemble techniques can significantly improve classification performance. In this study we build upon this result and propose to use variability in the predictions of classifiers contributing to the final decision as an indicator of its reliability. The study hypothesis is tested with respect to previously proposed information-theoretic computer-aided decision (IT-CAD) system for detection of masses in mammograms. A database of 1820 regions of interest (ROIs) extracted from digital database of screening mammography (DDSM) is used. Experimental results show that the proposed reliability assessment successfully identifies decisions that can not be trusted. Further, a low correlation between reliability and the classifier output is noted. This opens a possibility of combining reliability and ensemble output into one improved decision.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Kuncheva, L.I.: Combining Pattern Classifiers. Willey-Interscience (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Greene, D., Tsymbal, A., Bolshakova, N., Cunningham, P.: Ensemble clustering in medical diagnostics. In: Proceedings of 17th IEEE Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems (CBMS 2004), pp. 575–581 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Raza, M., Gondal, I., David Green, R.L.C.: Classifier fusion using Dempster-Shafer theory of evidence to predict breast cancer tumors. In: 2006 IEEE Region 10 Conference (TENCON 2006), pp. 1–4 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Mazurowski, M.A., Zurada, J.M., Tourassi, G.D.: Database decomposition of a knowledge base cad system in mammography; an ensemble approach to improve detection performance. In: Proc. SPIE Medical Imaging 2008 (in press) (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Habas, P.A., Zurada, J.M., Elmaghraby, A.S., Tourassi, G.D.: Probabilistic framework for reliability analysis of information-theoretic cad systems in mammography. In: Proceedings of the 28th IEEE EMBS Annual International Conference, New York City, USA, August 30-September 3, 2006, pp. 6113–6116 (2006)Google Scholar
- 16.Heath, M., et al.: Current status of the digital database for screening mammography, ch. In: Digital Mammography. Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht (1998)Google Scholar