Breast Density Segmentation: A Comparison of Clustering and Region Based Techniques
This paper presents a comparison of two clustering based algorithms and one region based algorithm for segmenting fatty and dense tissue in mammographic images. This is a crucial step in order to obtain a quantitative measure of the density of the breast. The first algorithm is a multiple thresholding algorithm based on the excess entropy, the second one is based on the Fuzzy C-Means clustering algorithm, and the third one is based on a statistical analysis of the breast. The performance of the algorithms is exhaustively evaluated using a database of full-field digital mammograms containing 150 CC and 150 MLO images and ROC analysis (ground-truth provided by an expert). Results demonstrate that the use of region information is useful to obtain homogeneous region segmentation, although clustering algorithms obtained better sensitivity.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Brem, R.F., Hoffmeister, J.W., Rapelyea, J.A., Zisman, G., Mohtashemi, K., Jindal, G., DiSimio, M.P., Rogers, S.K.: Impact of breast density on computer-aided detection for breast cancer. Am. J. Roentgenol. 184(2), 439–444 (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Boyd, N.F., Byng, J.W., Jong, R.A., Fishell, E.K., Little, L.E., Miller, A.B., Lockwood, G.A., Tritchler, D.L., Yaffe, M.J.: Quantitative classification of mammographic densities and breast cancer risk: results from the Canadian national breast screening study. J. Natl Cancer Inst. 87, 670–675 (1995)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Aylward, S.R., Hemminger, B.H., Pisano, E.D.: Mixture modelling for digital mammogram display and analysis. Int. Work. Dig. Mammography, 305–312 (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Zwiggelaar, R., Denton, E.R.E.: Optimal segmentation of mammographic images. In: Int. Work. Dig. Mammography, pp. 751–757 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Feldman, D.P., Crutchfield, J.P.: Structural information in two-dimensional patterns: Entropy convergence and excess entropy (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Cover, T.M., Thomas, J.A.: Elements of Information Theory. Wiley Series in Telecommunications (1991)Google Scholar
- 16.American College of Radiology: Illustrated Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System BIRADS. 3rd edn. American College of Radiology (1998)Google Scholar