Topic Development Based Refinement of Audio-Segmented Television News
With the advent of the cable based television model, there is an emerging requirement for random access capabilities, from a variety of media channels, such as smart terminals and Internet. Random access to the information within a newscast program requires appropriate segmentation of the news. We present text analysis based techniques on the transcript of the news, to refine the automatic audio-visual segmentation. We present the effectiveness of applying the text segmentation algorithm CUTS to the news segmentation domain. We propose two extensions to the algorithm, and show their impacts through an initial evaluation.
KeywordsAutomatic Speech Recognition Curve Segment Topic Development Text Stream Unit Duration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Delos network of excellence on digital libraries. Internet Site, http://www.delos.info/
- 2.Andrews, P.: Semantic topic extraction and segmentation for efficient document visualization. Master’s thesis, School of Computer & Communication Sciences, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Venkatesh, S., Phung, D.-Q., Duong, T.-V., Bui, H.H.: Topic transition detection using hierarchical hidden markov and semimarkov models. In: Proc. of ACM Multimedia 2005 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Hearst, M.A.: Texttiling: Segmenting text into multi-paragraph subtopic passages. Computational Linguistics 23(1), 33–64 (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Hearst, M.A., Plaunt, C.: Subtopic structuring for full-length document access. In: Proc. of SIGIR (1993)Google Scholar
- 7.Qi, Y., Candan, K.-S.: Cuts: Curvature-based development pattern analysis and segmentation for blogs and other text streams. In: Proc. of Hypertext 2006 (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Snoek, C.G., Worring, M.: Multimodal video indexing: A review of the state-of-the-art. In: Proc. Multimedia Tools and Applications, pp. 5–35 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Torgerson, S.: Multidimensional scaling: I. theory and method. Psychometrika 17(4) (1952)Google Scholar