A Module Management Scheme for Dynamic Reconfiguration
Wireless sensor nodes are used to sense and transmit information from target region such as nature and industrial environment. In those nodes, dynamic reconfiguration is required to update codes, change functions, and maintain programs, because each node is deployed in a remote region. Currently, many dynamic reconfiguration schemes have been researched in wireless sensor networks. However, they are still inefficient in terms of energy usage, and not capable to manage multiple modules. In this paper, we present an efficient module management scheme for dynamic reconfiguration of sensor operating systems. To minimize the updating cost of each module that has a dependency relation, it provides a new ‘module update’ interface, which is different from the module insertion and deletion methods. It also supports dependency and duplication checker to manage modules reliably. Our experimental results show that our scheme outperforms existing schemes in terms of both the execution time and the energy consumption.
KeywordsModule Management Wireless Sensor Networks Operating Systems Dynamic Reconfiguration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Levis, P., Madden, S., Gay, D., Polastre, J., Szewczyk, R.: The emergence of networking abstractions and techniques in tinyos, In: First USENIX/ACM Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Martin, F., Mikhak, B., Silverman, B.: A designer’s kit for making computational devices. IBM System Journal 39 (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Han, C.C., Kumar, R., Shea, R., Kohler, E.: A dynamic operating system for sensor nodes. In: International Conference On Mobile Systems, Applications And Services, pp. 163–176 (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Adam, D., Gronvall, B., Voigt, T.: Contiki–a lightweight and flexible operating system for tiny networked sensors. In: Proceedings of the 29th Annual IEEE International Conference on Local Computer Networks, Tampa, Florida, USA (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Adam, D., Niclas, F., Joakim, E., Thiemo, V.: Run-time dynamic linking for reprogramming wireless sensor networks. In: SenSys 2006, pp. 15–28 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Jonathan, W., Hui, C.: The Dynamic Behavior of a Data Dissemination Protocol for Network Programming at Scale. In: The 2nd ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys 2004), November 3-5 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Daniel, P., Marco, C.: Understanding the Linux Kernel, 3rd edn. O’Reilly, Sebastopol (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Avrora (website), http://compilers.cs.ucla.edu/avrora/index.html
- 9.Crossbow (website), http://www.xbow.com/