A New Concept for Collaborative Product & Process Design within a Human-oriented Collaborative Manufacturing Environment
The paper discusses the introduction of an innovative human-oriented Collaborative Manufacturing Environment (CME) into the next generation of digital manufacturing. Following an overview of the current state-of-the-art, the conceptual background of the overall CME has been given. The CME will provide support for data analysis, visualisation, advanced inter-action and presence, ergonomic analysis, and collaborative decision-making. The paper also focuses on the module supporting of the collaborative product and process design. The innovative aspect, being the seam-less integration of virtual reality and decision making principles is also analyzed. The module will help “define” the proper solutions to the design or re-conceptualization problems, based on collaborative interactions and testing, which can occur in virtual environments.
KeywordsCollaborative Manufacturing Environment Prototype Designer Virtual Reality Decision Making
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Arangarasan R, Gadh R (2000) Geometric modelling and collaborative design in a multi-modal multi-sensory virtual environment. In: Proceedings of ASME 2000 Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, pp 10–13Google Scholar
- 2.Bopse U (1999) Cooperative Problem Solving Framework for Computer-Aided Process Planning. In: Proceedings of the 32nd Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, vol 8, pp 8015Google Scholar
- 4.Chryssolouris G, Mavrikios D, Fragos D, Karabatsou V, Alexopoulos K (2004) A hybrid approach to the verification and analysis of assembly and maintenance processes using Virtual Reality and Digital Mannequin technologies. In: Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality Applications in Manufacturing, Nee AYC and Ong SK (eds), Springer-Verlag, London, pp 97–110Google Scholar
- 10.Lau HYK, Mark KL, Lu MTH (2003) A virtual design platform for interactive product design and visualization. Journal of materials Processing Tech-nology, pp 402–407Google Scholar
- 12.Noel F, Brissaud D (2003) Dynamic data sharing in a collaborative design environment. International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, vol 16(7–8), pp 546–556Google Scholar
- 13.Pappas M, Karabatsou V, Mavrikios D, Chryssolouris G (2006) Development of a web-based collaboration platform for manufacturing product and process design evaluation using virtual reality techniques. International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing. vol 19(8), pp 805–814CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Shen W (2000) Web-based infrastructure for collaborative product design: an overview. In: Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work in Design, Hong Kong, China, pp 239–244Google Scholar