Similarity Metrics Analysis for Feature Point Based Retinal Authentication
Biometrics refer to identity verification of individuals based on some physiologic or behavioural characteristics (face, fingerprint, signature...). The typical authentication process of a person consists in extracting a biometric pattern of him/her and matching it with the stored pattern for the authorized user obtaining a similarity value between patterns. If that similarity is bigger than some threshold the authentication is accepted, otherwise is rejected. Thus, the similarity metrics determine the system ability to successfully classify authentications as authorized or unauthorized. In this work, an analysis of similarity metrics performance is presented for a biometric system in which retinal vessel feature points are used as biometric pattern. The results of the system allow to establish a confidence band for the metric threshold where no errors are obtained for training and test sets.
KeywordsAuthentication System Similarity Measure Retinal Images Biometric Pattern Feature point matching
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jain, A., Hong, L., Pankanti, S., Bolle, R.: An identity authentication system using fingerprints. Proceedings of the IEEE 85(9) (September 1997)Google Scholar
- 3.Zunkel, R.: Hand geometry based verification. In: BIOMETRICS: Personal Identification in Networked Society. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Zhao, W., Chellappa, R., Rosenfeld, A., Phillips, P.: Face recognition: A literature survey. Technical report, National Institute of Standards and Technology (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Bigüin, J., Chollet, C., Borgefors, G. (eds.): Proceedings of the 1st.International Conference on Audio- and Video-Based Biometric Person Authentication, Crans-Montana, Switzerland (March 1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Mariño, C., Penedo, M.G., Carreira, M.J., González, F.: Retinal angiography based authentication. In: Sanfeliu, A., Ruiz-Shulcloper, J. (eds.) CIARP 2003. LNCS, vol. 2905, pp. 306–313. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Ortega, M., Mariño, C., Penedo, M.G., Blanco, M., González, F.: Personal authentication based on featue extraction and optica nerve location in digital retinal images. WSEAS Transactions on Computers 5(6), 1169–1176 (2006)Google Scholar
- 15.VARIA: Varpa retinal images for authentication, http://www.varpa.es/varia.html