The Study on Visualization Systems for Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning
In this study, we developed a visualization tool that shows learners’ interactive activities graphically during computer-supported collaborative learning (CSCL). The tool helps teachers to monitor and evaluate the interac tion activities among students, and thus it makes it easier to develop more ef fective instructional design for CSCL. For experiments, we used a web-based discussion group of 112 students. We investigated the effects of visualization of interactions on web discussion CSCL. Also, in lesson practice with this tool, we verified the effects through questionnaire and interviews. Our result show that the visualization tool provides a teacher with patterns of collaborative activities very clearly and insights of how to promote students’ interactions more effi ciently.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bastiaens, T.J., Martens, R.L.: Conditions for web-based learning with real events. In: Abbey, B. (ed.) Instructional and cognitive impacts of web-based education, pp. 1–31. Idea Group, Hershey (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Davices, D.: Learning network design:coordinating group interactions in formal learning environments over time and distance. In: O’Malley, C. (ed.) Computer supported collaborative learning, pp. 101–124. Springer, London (1994)Google Scholar
- 3.Gauthier, G., Frasson, C., VanLehn, K.: In Intelligent Tutoring Systems. In: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference, pp. 325–333 (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Jang, H.W., Suh, H.J., Moon, K.A.: Analysis of Collaborative Learning Model and Collaboration Tools in e-Learning Environment (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Lee, I.-S., Leem, J.H., Jin, S., Sung, E.M., Moon, K.A., Seo, H.J.: Analysis of collaborative learning behaviors and the roles of collaborative-learning agent. In: Proceedings of e-Learn 2004. Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education, pp. 2748–2754 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Marzo, J.L., Peña, C.I., Aguilar, M., Palencia, X., Alemany, A., Vallès, M., Johè, A.: Adaptive multiagent system for a web-based tutoring environment - final report March (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Kim, M.-Y., et al.: New Flash Masters Of Korea 2005. The electronic Times (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Gwon, S.-J., Kim, D.-S.: Development of Computer Supported Collaborative Learning Platform Prototype. Korean Association for Educational Information and Broadcasting 2001 7(1), 119–145 (2001)Google Scholar