Composer: Authoring Tool for iTV Programs
This paper presents Composer, an authoring tool to help creating interactive TV programs for the Brazilian Terrestrial Digital TV System. In Composer, several abstractions are defined creating different document views (structural, temporal, layout and textual). One of these views, the temporal view, preserves as much as possible the timeline paradigm, so popular in TV program editing. Using this view, authoring can be done by placing media objects on a time axis, however, preserving the relative relationships among them. Moreover, non-deterministic time events, like viewer interactions and content adaptations, can also be represented in the temporal view. In addition, the occurrence of these unpredictable events can be simulated, and the resulting TV program played, from any starting point. Besides other facilities provided by its four views, Composer also supports third-party views created as add-ons, and live program editing.
KeywordsAuthoring tool Digital TV Interactivity Temporal and spatial synchronization Composer NCL SBTVD
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Soares, L.F.G., Rodrigues, R.F.: Nested Context Language 3.0: Part 8 – NCL Digital TV Profiles. Technical Report – Department of Informatics – PUC-Rio. n. 35/06 (2006) ISSN 0103-9741Google Scholar
- 2.Soares, L.F.G., Rodrigues, R.F., Costa, R.R., Moreno, M.F.: Nested Context Language 3.0: Part 9 – NCL Live Editing Commands. Technical Report – Department of Informatics – PUC-Rio. n. 36/06 (2006) ISSN 0103-9741Google Scholar
- 3.ETSI European Telecommunications Standard Institute, TS 102 819 v.1.3.1: Globally Executable MHP (GEM) Specification 1.1.1 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.W3C World-Wide Web Consortium: Synchronized Multimedia Integration Language - SMIL 2.1 Specification (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Bulterman, D.C.A., Hardman, L., Jansen, J., Mullender, K.S., Rutledge, L.: GRiNS: A GRaphical INterface for creating and playing SMIL documents. In: WWW7 Conference, Computer Networks and ISDN Systems, Brisbane, Australia, vol. 30, pp. 519–529 (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Deltour, R., Layaida, N., Weck, D.: LimSee2: A Cross-Platform SMIL2.0 Authoring Tool. In: The European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics – ERCIM News. n. 62 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Soares, L.F.G., Rodrigues, R., Muchaluat, D.: Modeling, Authoring and Formatting Hypermedia Documents in the HyperProp System. ACM Multimedia Systems Journal 8(2) (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Williams, M.: ActionScript Coding Standards. In: Macromedia White Paper (2002)Google Scholar