Automatic Detection of Learnability under Unreliable and Sparse User Feedback
Personalization for real-world machine-learning applications usually has to incorporate user feedback. Unfortunately, user feedback often suffers from sparsity and possible inconsistencies. Here we present an algorithm that exploits feedback for learning only when it is consistent. The user provides feedback on a small subset of the data. Based on the data representation alone, our algorithm employs a statistical criterion to trigger learning when user feedback is significantly different from random. We evaluate our algorithm in a challenging audio classification task with relevance to hearing aid applications. By restricting learning to an informative subset, our algorithm substantially improves the performance of a recently introduced classification algorithm.
KeywordsUser Preference Automatic Detection User Feedback Concept Drift Classical Music
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Moh, Y., Orbanz, P., Buhmann, J.: Music preference learning with partial information. In: ICASSP (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Zolter, J.Z., Maloof, M.A.: Using additive expert ensembles to cope with concept drift. In: Proceedings of the 22nd Intl Conference on Machine Learning (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Chapelle, O., Schölkopf, B., Zien, A. (eds.): Semi-Supervised Learning. MIT Press, Cambridge (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Belkin, M., Niyogi, P.: Using manifold structure for partially labelled classification. In: Advances in NIPS, vol. 15 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Zhou, D., Bousquet, O., Lal, T.N., Weston, J., Schölkopf, B.: Learning with local and global consistency. In: Advances in Neural Infomation Processing Systems, vol. 16, pp. 321–328. MIT Press, Cambridge (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Ellis, D.: Classifying music audio with timbral and chroma features. In: Proc. Int. Conf. on Music Information Retrieval, Vienna, Austria (September 2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Ellis, D.: PLP and RASTA (and MFCC, and inversion) in Matlab, online web resource (2005)Google Scholar