Embedding Dynamic Behaviour into a Self-configuring Software System
This paper describes a methodology for embedding dynamic behaviour into software components. The implications and system architecture requirements to support this adaptivity are discussed. This work is part of a European Commission funded and industry supported project to produce a reconfigurable middleware for use in automotive systems. Such systems must be trustable against illegal internal behaviour and activity with external origins, additional devices for example. Policy-based computing is used here as an example of embedded logic. A key contribution of this work is the way in which static and dynamic aspects of the system are interfaced, such that the behaviour can be changed very flexibly (even during run-time), without modification, recompilation or redeployment of the embedded application code. An implementation of these concepts is presented, focussing on achieving trust in the use of dynamic behaviour.
KeywordsDynamic embedded systems Policy-based computing Automotive control systems Fault-tolerance in autonomics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.DySCAS project website: http://www.DySCAS.org
- 2.Anthony, R., Ekelin, C.: Policy-driven self-management for an automotive middleware. In: 1st Intl. Workshop on Policy-Based Autonomic Computing (PBAC) at 4th IEEE Intl. Conf. Autonomic Computing, pp. 55–64 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Anthony, R., Rettberg, A., Jahnich, I., Törngren, M., Chen, D., Ekelin, C.: Towards a Dynamically Reconfigurable Automotive Control System Architecture, Embedded System Design: Topics, Techniques and Trends, IFIP, pp. 71–84. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Anthony, R.: Policy-centric Integration and Dynamic Composition of Autonomic Computing Techniques. In: 4th International Conference on Autonomic Computing (ICAC 2006), IEEE Computer Society, Washington (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.IBM Research, Policy technologies, http://www.research.ibm.com/policytechnologies/
- 6.Lobo, J., Bhatia, R., Naqvi, S.: A policy description language. In: Proc. AAAI, pp. 291–298 (1999)Google Scholar
- 15.Beznosov, K.: On the Benefits of Decomposing Policy Engines into Components. In: ACM Intl. Conf. Proceeding Series, vol. 80 (2004)Google Scholar
- 16.Anthony, R.: The AGILE Policy Expression Language for Autonomic Systems. Intl. Trans. on Systems Science and Applications 1(4), 381–397 (2006)Google Scholar
- 17.McKinley, P.K., Sadjadi, S.M., Kasten, E.P., Cheng, B.H.: Composing adaptive software. IEEE Computer 37(7), 56–64 (2004)Google Scholar
- 21.Pelc, M., Anthony, R.: Towards Policy-Based Self-Configuration of Embedded Systems. System and Information Sciences Notes 2(1), 20–26 (2007)Google Scholar
- 22.Policy Autonomics website, demonstration application, http://staffweb.cms.gre.ac.uk/~ar26/Research/PolicyAutonomics/publications_development/embedbehavior