Using Hidden Markov Models to Characterize Student Behaviors in Learning-by-Teaching Environments
Using hidden Markov models (HMMs) and traditional behavior analysis, we have examined the effect of metacognitive prompting on students’ learning in the context of our computer-based learning-by-teaching environment. This paper discusses our analysis techniques, and presents evidence that HMMs can be used to effectively determine students’ pattern of activities. The results indicate clear differences between different interventions, and links between students learning performance and their interactions with the system.
KeywordsLearning by Teaching environments Metacognition Behavior Analysis hidden Markov modeling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Biswas, G., Leelawong, K., Schwartz, D., Vye, N.: TAG-V: Learning By Teaching: A New Agent Paradigm for Educational Software. In: Applied Artificial Intelligence. AAI, vol. 19, pp. 363–392 (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Wagster, J., Tan, J., Wu, Y., Biswas, G., Schwartz, D.: Do Learning by Teaching Environments with Metacognitive Support Help Students Develop Better Learning Behaviors? In: The 29th Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science Society, Nashville, pp. 695–700 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Novak, J.D.: Learning, Creating, and Using Knowledge: Concept Maps as Facilitative Tools in Schools and Corporations, LEA, Mahwah, NJ (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Biswas, G., Schwartz, D., Bransford, J.: TAG-V: Technology support for complex problem solving: From SAD environments to AI. In: Forbus, K.D., Feltovich, P.J. (eds.) Smart Machines in Education, pp. 71–98. AAAI Press, Menlo Park (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Roscoe, R.D., Chi, M.: Tutor learning: The role of instructional explaining and responding to questions. In: Instructional Science (in press)Google Scholar
- 9.Leelawong, K., Biswas, G.: Designing Learning by Teaching Systems: The Betty’s Brain System. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Education (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Rabiner, L.R.: A Tutorial on Hidden Markov Models and Selected Applications in Speech Recognition. Proc. IEEE, 77 (1989)Google Scholar
- 13.Li, C., Biswas, G.: A Bayesian Approach for Learning Hidden Markov Models from Data. Special issue on Markov Chain and Hidden Markov Models. Scientific Programming 10, 201–219 (2002)Google Scholar