Using Similarity Metrics for Matching Lifelong Learners
The L4All system provides an environment for the lifelong learner to access information about courses, personal development plans, recommendation of learning pathways, personalised support for planning of learning, and reflecting on learning. Designed as a web-based application, it offers lifelong learners the possibility to define and share their own timeline (a chronological record of their relevant life episodes) in order to foster collaborative elaboration of future goals and aspirations. A keystone for delivering such functionalities is the possibility for learner to search for ‘people like me’. Addressing the fact that such a definition of ‘people like me’ is ambiguous and subjective, this paper explores the use of similarity metrics as a flexible mechanism for comparing and ranking lifelong learners’ timelines.
KeywordsSimilarity Measure User Model Lifelong Learner Similarity Metrics Personalise Support
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.de Freitas, S., Magoulas, G., Oliver, M., Papamarkos, G., Harrison, A.P.I., Mee, A.: L4all - a web-service based system for lifelong learners. In: Proceedings of eChallenges 2006 (Workshop on Next Generation in Technology Enhanced Learning), pp. 1477–1484 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Baajour, H., Magoulas, G., Poulovassilis, A.: Modelling the lifelong learner in a services-based environment. In: Proceedings of ITA 2007- 2nd International Conference on Internet Technologies and Applications, pp. 181–190 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Gusfield, D.: Algorithms on Strings, Trees, and Sequences - Computer Science and Computational Biology. Cambridge University Press (1997)Google Scholar
- 8.Cohen, W.W., Ravikumar, P., Fienberg, S.E.: A comparison of string distance metrics for name-matching tasks. In: Proceedings of IIWeb 2003 – IJCAI Workshop on Information Integration on the Web, pp. 73–78 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Ainsworth, S., Clarke, D., Gaizauskas, R.J.: Using edit distance algorithms to compare alternative approaches to its authoring. In: Cerri, S.A., Gouardéres, G., Paraguaçu, F. (eds.) ITS 2002. LNCS, vol. 2363, pp. 873–882. Springer, Heidelberg (2002)Google Scholar