MDA-Based Methodologies: An Analytical Survey
Model-Driven Development (MDD) has become a familiar software engineering term in recent years, thanks to the profound influence of the Model Driven Architecture (MDA). Yet MDD, like MDA itself, defines a general framework, and as such is a generic approach rather than a concrete development methodology. Methodology support for MDA has been rather slow in coming, yet even though several MDA-based methodologies have emerged, they have not been objectively analyzed yet. The need remains for a critical appraisal of these methodologies, mainly aimed at identifying their achievements, and the shortcomings that should be addressed. We provide a review of several prominent MDA-based methodologies, and present a criteria-based evaluation which highlights their strengths and weaknesses. The results can be used for assessing, comparing, selecting, and adapting MDA-based methodologies.
KeywordsModel Driven Architecture Software Development Methodology Evaluation Criteria
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mukerji, I., Miller, J.: MDA Guide Version 1.0.1. OMG (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Gervais, M.: Towards an MDA-Oriented Methodology. In: 26th Annual International Computer Software and Applications Conference (COMPSAC 2002), pp. 265–270. IEEE Press, Oxford (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Larrucea, X., Diez, A.B.G., Mansell, J.X.: Practical Model Driven Development process. In: Second European Workshop on Model Driven Architecture (MDA), UK (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Object Management Group: Software Process Engineering Metamodel v1.0 (SPEM). OMG (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Hildenbrand, T., Korthaus, A.: A Model-Driven Approach to Business Software Engineering. In: 8th World Multi-Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, Florida. Information Systems, Technologies and Applications, vol. IV, pp. 74–79 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Kim, S., Min, H.G., Her, J.S., Chang, S.H.: DREAM: A practical product line engineering using model driven architecture. In: ICITA 2005, Australia, pp. 70–75 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Gavras, A., Belaunde, M., Ferreira Pires, L., Andrade Almeida, J.P.: Towards an MDA-based development methodology. In: Oquendo, F., Warboys, B.C., Morrison, R. (eds.) EWSA 2004. LNCS, vol. 3047, pp. 71–81. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Guelfi, N., Razavi, R., Romanovsky, A., Vandenbergh, S.: DRIP Catalyst: an MDE/MDA Method for Fault-tolerant Distributed Software Families Development. In: OOPSLA & GPCE workshop on best practices for Model Driven Development, Portland (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Karam, G.M., Casselman, R.S.: A cataloging framework for software development methods. IEEE Computer 26(2), 34–45 (1993)Google Scholar