Discovering Web Services to Improve Requirements Specifications: Does It Help?
Service-centric systems pose new opportunities for when engineering requirements. This paper reports an evaluation of software tools with which to exploit discovered services to improve the completeness of requirements specifications. Although these tools had been evaluated previously in facilitated industrial workshops, industrial users had not used the tools directly. In this paper we report 2 industrial uses and evaluations in which experienced analysts used the tools directly on 2 real-world requirements projects. Results reveal that analysts used the tools to retrieve web services that could implement specified requirements, but analysts were less able to improve these requirements in light of the retrieved services. Results have implications for iterative service discovery processes and service discovery algorithms.
KeywordsService Specification Service Discovery Service Registry Query Expansion Service Description
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Tetlow, P., Pan, J., Oberle, D., Wallace, E., Uschold, M., Kendall, E.: Ontology Driven Architectures and Potential Uses of the Semantic Web in Software Engineering. W3C (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Margaria, T.: Service in the Eye of the Beholder. IEEE Computer 40(11), 33–37 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Zachos, K., Maiden, N.A.M.: Discovering Services to Support Creative Thinking during Early Requirements Processes. In: Krämer, B.J., Lin, K.-J., Narasimhan, P. (eds.) ICSOC 2007. LNCS, vol. 4749. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Jones, S.V., Maiden, N.A.M., Zachos, K., Zhu, X.: How Service-Centric Systems Change the Requirements Process. In: Pastor, Ó., Falcão e Cunha, J. (eds.) CAiSE 2005. LNCS, vol. 3520, pp. 13–14. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Robertson, S., Robertson, J.: Mastering the Requirements Process. Addison-Wesley-Longman (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Sawyer, P., Hutchinson, J., Walkerdine, J., Sommerville, I.: Faceted Service Specification. In: Proceedings SOCCER (Service-Oriented Computing: Consequences for Engineering Requirements) Workshop, at RE 2005 Conference, Paris (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Miller, K.: Introduction to WordNet: an On-line Lexical Database Distributed with WordNet software (1993)Google Scholar
- 11.Deliverable A2.D10 - Evaluation of service discovery environments, v2.0, SeCSE Technical Report, available at secse.eng.it (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.SODIUM, Service-Oriented Development In a Unified fraMework, IST-FP6-004559 (2007), http://www.atc.gr/sodium
- 13.Alexander, I.F., Stevens, R.: Writing Better Requirements. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2002)Google Scholar