Offline and Online Facility Leasing
We study the problem of leasing facilities over time, following the general infrastructure leasing problem framework introduced by Anthony and Gupta . If there are K different lease types, Anthony and Gupta give an O(K)-approximation algorithm for the problem. We are able to improve this to a 3-approximation algorithm by using a variant of the primal-dual facility location algorithm of Jain and Vazirani . We also consider the online version of the facility leasing problem, in which the clients to be served arrive over time and are not known in advance. This problem generalizes both the online facility location problem (introduced by Meyerson ) and the parking permit problem (also introduced by Meyerson ). We give a deterministic algorithm for the problem that is O(Klogn)-competitive. To achieve our result, we modify an O(logn)-competitive algorithm of Fotakis  for the online facility location problem.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Fotakis, D.: On the competitive ratio for online facility location. Algorithmica (2007); Published online October 24, 2007. Previous version in ICALP 2003Google Scholar
- 6.Meyerson, A.: Online facility location. In: Proceedings of the 42nd Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 426–431 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Meyerson, A.: The parking permit problem. In: Proceedings of the 46th Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 274–282 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Odyssey Logistics, http://www.odysseylogistics.com
- 9.Swamy, C., Shmoys, D.B.: Sampling-based approximation algorithms for multi-stage stochastic optimization. In: Proceedings of the 46th Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 357–366 (2005)Google Scholar