Comparing Dissimilarity Measures for Content-Based Image Retrieval
Dissimilarity measurement plays a crucial role in content-based image retrieval, where data objects and queries are represented as vectors in high-dimensional content feature spaces. Given the large number of dissimilarity measures that exist in many fields, a crucial research question arises: Is there a dependency, if yes, what is the dependency, of a dissimilarity measure’s retrieval performance, on different feature spaces? In this paper, we summarize fourteen core dissimilarity measures and classify them into three categories. A systematic performance comparison is carried out to test the effectiveness of these dissimilarity measures with six different feature spaces and some of their combinations on the Corel image collection. From our experimental results, we have drawn a number of observations and insights on dissimilarity measurement in content-based image retrieval, which will lay a foundation for developing more effective image search technologies.
Keywordsdissimilarity measure feature space content-based image retrieval
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chen, C.-C., Chu, H.-T.: Similarity measurement between images. In: Proceedings of the 29th Annual International Computer Software and Applications Conference (COMPSAC 2005), IEEE, Los Alamitos (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Howarth, P., Rüger, S.: Fractional distance measures for content-based image retrieval. In: Losada, D.E., Fernández-Luna, J.M. (eds.) ECIR 2005. LNCS, vol. 3408, Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Kokare, M., Chatterji, B., Biswas, P.: Comparison of similarity metrics for texture image retrieval. In: Proceeding of IEEE Conf. on Convergent Technologies for Asia-Pacific Region, vol. 2, pp. 571–575 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Luke, B.T.: Pearson’s correlation coefficient. Online (1995)Google Scholar
- 6.Noreault, T., McGill, M., Koll, M.B.: A performance evaluation of similarity measures, document term weighting schemes and representations in a Boolean environment. In: Proceeding of the 3rd annual ACM Conference on Research and development in inforamtion retreval, SIGIR 1980, Kent, UK, pp. 57–76. ACM, Butterworth Co. (1980)Google Scholar
- 9.Puzicha, J.: Distribution-Based Image Similarity, ch. 7, pp. 143–164. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Puzicha, J., Hofmann, T., Buhmann, J.M.: Non-parametric similarity measures for unsupervised texture segmentation and image retrieval. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, San Juan (1997)Google Scholar
- 11.Puzicha, J., Rubner, Y., Tomasi, C., Buhmann, J.M.: Empirical evaluation of dissimilarity measures for color and texture. In: Proceeding of the international conference on computer vision, vol. 2, pp. 1165–1172 (September 1999)Google Scholar