A Modelling Approach with Coloured Petri Nets
When designing a complex system with critical requirements (e.g. for safety issues), formal models are often used for analysis prior to costly hardware/software implementation. However, writing the formal specification starting from the textual description is not easy. An approach to this problem has been developed in the context of algebraic specifications [CR06], and was later adapted to Petri nets [CP04, CPR07]. Here, we show how such a method, with precise and detailed guidelines, can be applied for writing modular coloured Petri nets. This is illustrated on a model railway case study, where modules are a key aspect.
Keywordsspecification method modelling method coloured Petri nets modular design
- [CP04]Choppy, C., Petrucci, L.: Towards a methodology for modelling with Petri nets. In: Proc. Workshop on Practical Use of Coloured Petri Nets, Aarhus, Denmark, October 2004, pp. 39–56 (2004) Report DAIMI-PB 570, Aarhus, DKGoogle Scholar
- [CPR07]Choppy, C., Petrucci, L., Reggio, G.: Designing coloured Petri net models: a method. In: Proc. Workshop on Practical Use of Coloured Petri Nets, Aarhus, Denmark (October 2007)Google Scholar
- [CY91]Coad, P., Yourdon, E.: Object-Oriented Analysis. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1991)Google Scholar
- [Kin07]Kindler, E.: Modular PNML revisited: Some ideas for strict typing. In: Proc. AWPN 2007, Koblenz, Germany (September 2007)Google Scholar
- [Pet07]Petrucci, L.: ISO/IEC 15909 — Part 3: Extensions (November 2007) Working document of ISO/IEC JTC1-SC7-WG19, ref. PA2-018Google Scholar