On Determining the Optimal Partition in Agglomerative Clustering of Documents
The goal of any clustering algorithm producing flat partitions of data, is to find both the optimal clustering solution and the optimal number of clusters. One natural way to reach this goal without the need for parameters, is to involve a validity index in a clustering process, which can lead to an objective selection of the optimal number of clusters. In this paper, we provide an evaluation of the major relative indices involving them in an agglomerative clustering algorithm for documents. The evaluation seeks the indices ability to identify both the optimal solution and the optimal number of clusters. Then, we propose a new context-aware method that aims at enhancing the validity indices usage as stopping criteria in agglomerative algorithms. Experimental results show that the method is a step-forward in using, with more reliability, validity indices as stopping criteria.
KeywordsCluster Process Cluster Solution Validity Index Optimal Partition Agglomerative Cluster
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bezdek, J.C., Li, W., Attikiouzel, Y., Windham, M.P.: A geometric approach to cluster validity for normal mixtures. Soft Comput. 1(4), 166–179 (1997)Google Scholar
- 2.Davies, D.L., Bouldin, D.W.: A cluster separation measure. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 1(2) (1979)Google Scholar
- 10.Raskutti, B., Leckie, C.: An evaluation of criteria for measuring the quality of clusters. In: IJCAI, pp. 905–910 (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Saitta, S., Raphael, B., Smith, I.F.C.: A bounded index for cluster validity. In: MLDM, pp. 174–187 (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Salton, G.: Automatic Text Processing: The Transformation, Analysis, and Retrieval of Information by Computer. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1989)Google Scholar
- 13.Sergios Theodoridis, K.K.: Pattern recognition. Academic Press, London (1999)Google Scholar
- 14.Sharma, S.: Applied multivariate techniques. John Wiley and Sons, Chichester (1996)Google Scholar