Mining Scalar Representations in a Non-tagged Music Database
In the continuing investigation of the relationship between music and emotions it is recognized that MPEG-7 based MIR systems are the state-of-the-art. Also, it is known that non-temporal systems are diametrically unconducive to pitch analysis, an imperative for key and scalar analysis which determine emotions in music. Furthermore, even in a temporal MIR system one can only find the key if the scale is known or vice-versa, one can only find the scale if the key is known. We introduce a new MIRAI-based decision-support system that, given a blind database of music files, can successfully search for both the scale and the key of an unknown song in a music database and accordingly link each song to its set of scales and possible emotional states.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chew, E.: Music information processing: a new application for operations researchers. Bulletin of AIROnews 7(3), 9–14 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Lewis, R., Raś, Z.: Rules for processing and manipulating scalar music theory. In: Proceedings of MUE 2007, IEEE Conference, Seoul, Korea, pp. 26–28 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Li, T., Ogihara, M.: Detecting emotion in music, in ISMIR 2003 Proceed (2003), http://ismir2003.ismir.net/papers/Li.PDF
- 7.McClellan, R.: The healing forces of music. In: Element Inc., Rockport, MA (1966)Google Scholar
- 8.Pawlak, Z.: Information systems - theoretical foundations. Information Systems Journal 6, 205–218 (1991)Google Scholar
- 9.Raś, Z., Zhang, X., Lewis, R.: MIRAI: Multi-hierarchical, FS-tree based music information retrieval system. In: Kryszkiewicz, M., Peters, J.F., Rybinski, H., Skowron, A. (eds.) RSEISP 2007. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 4585, pp. 28–30. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Sevgen, A.: The science of musical sound. Scientific American Books Inc., New York (1983)Google Scholar
- 11.Sloboda, J.A., ONeill, S.A.: Emotions in everyday listening to music. In: Juslin, P.N., Sloboda, J.A. (eds.) Music and Emotion: Theory and Research, pp. 415–430. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Wieczorkowska, A., Synak, P., Lewis, R., Raś, Z.: Creating reliable database for experiments on extracting emotions from music. In: IIPWM 2005 Proceedings. Advances in Soft Computing, pp. 395–402. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar