The GSI Plug-In for gSOAP: Building Cross-Grid Interoperable Secure Grid Services
Increasingly, grid computing is becoming the paradigm of choice for building large-scale complex scientific applications. These applications are characterized as being computationally and/or data intensive, requiring computational power and storage resources well beyond the capability of a single computer. Grid environments provide distributed, geographically spread computing and storage resources made available to scientists belonging to Virtual Organizations; resource sharing is tightly controlled across multiple administrative domains through established service-level agreements. The adoption of Service-Oriented Architectures leads to grid environments characterized by grid services built using Web Services technologies that can be composed as needed to create arbitrarily complex workflows. In this context, security is a key issue that must be taken into account; another concern is interoperability among grids, a fundamental building block to develop grid-aware applications that can benefit from multiple grid environments. We present the GSI plug-in for gSOAP, an open source solution to the problem of securing Web Services in grid environments providing full interoperability between grid environments based on the Globus Toolkit and gLITE middleware.
KeywordsGrid Environment Grid Service Virtual Organization Globus Toolkit Transport Layer Security
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Berman, F., Fox, G., Hey, T.: Grid Computing: Making the Global Infrastructure a Reality. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Foster, I., Kesselman, C., Tuecke, S.: The Anatomy of the Grid: Enabling Scalable Virtual Organizations. International Journal Supercomputer Applications 15(3), 200–222 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Marks, E., Bell, M.: Service Oriented Architecture: A Planning and Implementation Guide for Business and Technology. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.gLite: Lightweight Middleware for Grid Computing, http://glite.web.cern.ch/glite/
- 8.Linn, J.: Generic Security Service Application Program Interface, Version 2. INTERNET RFC 2078 (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Apache Axis web site, http://ws.apache.org/axis
- 10.van Engelen, R., Gallivan, K.: The gSOAP Toolkit for Web Services and Peer-To-Peer Computing Networks. In: Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid (CCGrid 2002), Berlin, Germany, May 21-24, 2002, pp. 128–135. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2002)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.van Engelen, R., et al.: Developing Web Services for C and C++. IEEE Internet Computing Journal, 53–61 (March 2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Aloisio, G., Cafaro, M., Epicoco, I., Lezzi, D., van Engelen, R.: The GSI plug-in for gSOAP: Enhanced Security, Performance, and Reliability. In: Proceedings of Information Technology Coding and Computing, vol. I, pp. 304–309. IEEE Press, Los Alamitos (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Aloisio, G., Cafaro, M., Epicoco, I., Nabrzyski, J.: The EU GridLab Project: A Grid Application Toolkit and Testbed. In: Yang, L.T., Dongarra, J., Hoisie, A., Martino, B.D., Zima, H. (eds.) Engineering the Grid: Status and Perspective, Nova Science Publisher (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.GRelC project web site, http://grelc.unile.it
- 16.Fiore, F., Cafaro, M., Negro, A., Vadacca, S., Aloisio, G., Barbera, R., Giorgio, E.: GRelC DAS: a Grid-DB Access Service for gLite Based Production Grids. In: Proceedings of the Fourth International Workshop on Emerging Technologies for Next-generation GRID (ETNGRID 2007), Paris (France), June 18-20 (to appear, 2007)Google Scholar