Standardization of Distance and Angulation of Light Curing Unit Tip Using Distometer
The purpose of this study was to investigate the light intensity of selected light curing unit with varying distance and angulation of the light curing tip and lightmeter.
Four types of light units; Spectrum 800 (Dentsply), Coltulux 3 (Coltene), Elipar FreeLight 2 (3M Espe) and Starlight Pro (Mectron) were evaluated for light intensity at various distance between the light curing tip and the lightometer Cure Rite Denstply (0, 1, 3, 5, 10 and 15 mm). The light curing units were angulated at 45°, 60° and 90° at a standardized 5 mm distance.
The intensity of light curing is affected by the distance between the light curing tip and the lightmeter. However, the decrease in light intensity of the light curing unit was found not to obey the inverse square law for the distances 0 to 15 mm.
The study found that there was no significant difference between 45° and 60° angulation between the light curing tip and the lightmeter. However, the decrease in light intensity is significant when compared to the light tip is placed perpendicular (90°) to the aperture of the light meter.
KeywordsDistance Angulation Light curing unit Light intensity Composite resin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Murchison, D.F., Roeters, J., Vargos, M.A, Chan, D.C.N. (2006). Direct Anterior Restorations in Fundamentals of Operative Dentistry. A Contemporary Approach. 3rd Edition. QuintessenceGoogle Scholar
- 2.Powers, J.M., Sakaguchi R.L. (2006) Craig’s Restorative Dental Materials. Mosby ElservierGoogle Scholar
- 3.McCabe, J.F., Walls, A.W.G. (1998). Applied Dental Materials. 8th Edition. Blackwell PublishingGoogle Scholar
- 4.Anusavice K.J. (2003). Philips’ Science of Dental Materials. Eleventh Edition. SaundersGoogle Scholar
- 5.Van Noort, R. (2002) Introductions to Dental Materials. Mosby-Year Book, Inc.Google Scholar
- 7.Radzi, Z., Yahya, N. A., Zamzam, N., Wood, D.J., (2004) Light Curing Units in Orthodontics. Annals of Dentistry 11: 13–23Google Scholar
- 8.Radzi, Z., Yahya, N. A., Kasim, N.H., Abu Osman, N.A., Aziz, Z.A. (2006) Light Composite Distometer. Abstract University of Malaya Research and Innovation Expo.Google Scholar
- 9.Rueggeberg, F.A., Jordan, D.M. (1993). Effect of light tip distance on polymerization of resin composite. The Int Jour Prosthod 6: 364–370Google Scholar