A New Framework for Fusing Stereo Images with Volumetric Medical Images
Some medical interventions require knowing the correspondence between an MRI/CT image and the actual position of the patient. Examples are in neurosurgery or radiotherapy, but also in video surgery (laparoscopy). Recently, computer vision techniques have been proposed to find this correspondence without any artificial markers. Following the pioneering work of [GLPI+94], [CZH+94], [CDT+92], [SHK94] and [STAL94], we propose in this paper an alternative approach.
We propose to trade the laser range finder for two cameras. Hence, we get dense reconstruction of the patient’s surface and this allows us to compute the normals to the surface. We present a new method for rigid registration when surfaces are described by points and normals. It does not depend on the initial positions of the surfaces, deals with occlusion in a strict way and takes advantage of the normal information.
Results are presented on real images.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Aya91]N. Ayache. Artificial Vision for Mobile Robots — Stereo-Vision and Multisensory Perception. Mit-Press, 1991.Google Scholar
- [Aya93]N. Ayache. Analysis of three-dimensional medical images - results and challenges. research report 2050, INRIA, 1993.Google Scholar
- [CDT+92]P. Cinquin, P. Demongeot, J. Troccaz, S. Lavallee, G. Champleboux, L. Brunie, F. Leitner, P. Sautot, B. Mazier, A. Perez M. Djaid, T. Fortin, M. Chenin, and A. Chapel. Igor: Image guided operating robot. methodology, medical applications, results. ITBM, 13: 373–393, 1992.Google Scholar
- [CLSB92]G. Champleboux, S. Lavallée, R. Szeliski, and L. Brunie. From accurate range imaging sensor calibration to accurate model-based 3-D object localization. In CVPR, Urbana Champaign, June 1992.Google Scholar
- [CZH+94]A.C.F. Colchester, J. Zhao, C. Henri, R.L. Evans, P. Roberts, N. Maitland, D.J. Hawkes, D.L.G. Hill, A.J. Strong, D.G. Thomas, M.J. Gleeson, and T.C.S Cox. Craniotomy simulation and guidance using a stereo video based tracking system (vislan). In Visualization in Biomedical Computing, Rochester, Minnesota, October 1994.Google Scholar
- [DF94]F. Devernay and O. D. Faugeras. Computing differential properties of 3d shapes from stereoscopic images without 3d models. In CVPR, Seattle, USA, June 1994.Google Scholar
- [FAF94]J. Feldmar, N. Ayache, and F.Betting. 3d-2d projective registration of freeform curves and surfaces. research report 2434, INRIA, 1994. Available via ftp anonymous on zenon.inria.fr, file /pub/rapports/RR-2434.ps and via WWW ftp://zenon.inria.fr/pub/rapports.Google Scholar
- [GLPI+94]W.E.L. Grimson, T. Lozano-Perez, W.M. Wells III, G.J. Ettinger, S.J White, and R. Kikinis. An automatic registration method for frameless stereotaxy, image guided surgery, and enhanced reality visualization. In CVPR, Seattle, USA, June 1994.Google Scholar
- [GMPO92]Luc Van Gool, Theo Moons, Eric Pauwels, and André Oosterlinck. Semi-differential invariants. In Joseph L. Mundy and Andrew Zisserman, editors, Geometric Invariance in Computer Vision. Mit-Press, 1992.Google Scholar
- [Kan93]T. Kanade. very fast 3d sensing hardware. Internationnal Symposium on Robotic Research, October 1993.Google Scholar
- [LC90]S. Lavallée and P. Cinquin. Computer assisted medical intervention, volume 60. Hohne K.H. et al ed, Imaging in Medicine. Springer Verlag, 1990.Google Scholar
- [LSB91]Stéphane Lavallée, Richard Szeliski, and Lionel Brunie. Matching 3-d smooth surfaces with their 2-d projections using 3-d distance maps. In SPIE, Geometric Methods in Computer Vision, San Diego, Ca, July 1991.Google Scholar
- [SHK94]D. Simon, M. Hebert, and T. Kanade. Techniques for fast and accurate intra-surgical registration. In First international symposium on medical robotics and computer assisted surgery, Pittsburgh, September 1994.Google Scholar
- [STAL94]A. Shweikard, R. Tombropoulos, J. Adler, and J.C. Latombe. Planning for image-guided radiosurgery. In AAAI 1994 Spring Symposium Series. Application of Computer Vision in Medical Image Processing,Stanford University, March 1994. Also in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation.Google Scholar
- [Tay93]R. Taylor. An overview of computer assisted surgery research. Internation- nal Symposium on Robotic Research, October 1993.Google Scholar
- [TLBM94]R.H. Taylor, S. Lavallee, G.C. Burdea, and R.W. Mosge. Computer integrated surgery. Mit-Press, 1994. To appear.Google Scholar
- [Zha94]Z. Zhang. Iterative point matching for registration of free-form curves and surfaces. IJCV,13(2):119–152, 1994. Also RR No.1658, INRIA, 1992.Google Scholar