A Virtual Reality Medical Training System
This paper presents the result of the interdisciplinary cooperation of traumatologists of the Berufsgenossenschaftliche Unfallklinik (BGU) in Frankfurt am Main and a team of computer graphics scientists of the Fraunhofer Institute for Computer Graphics in Darmstadt. We have developed a highly interactive medical training simulator system for arthroscopy by means of computer graphics and Virtual Reality techniques. This system offers an effective alternative to conventional training systems for training and establishing of arthroscopie techniques. The two main development tasks will be discussed: the 3D reconstruction process and the 3D interaction.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Goebel (Ed.): Virtual Reality, Computers and Graphics, Special Issue. Vol. 17, 6, Nov. 1993.Google Scholar
- 2.M. R. Satava: Virtual Reality Surgical Simulator. Surgical Endoscopy, pp. 203–205, Springer-Verlag, 1993.Google Scholar
- 3.W. Mueller: 3D Reconstruction of MRI Data for the Generation of a 3D Model for a Medical Training Simulator. Diploma thesis, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Computer Science Interactive Graphics Systems Group, 1994. In german language.Google Scholar
- 6.F. Schroeder, P. Rossbach: Managing the Complexity of Digital Terrain Models, Computers and Graphics, Special Issue on Modelling and Visualization of Spatial Data in GIS, 1994.Google Scholar
- 7.G. Fischer: Design of a 3D User Interface for a Medical Training Simulator. Diploma thesis, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Computer Science Interactive Graphics Systems Group, 1994. In german language.Google Scholar
- 8.R. Ziegler, G. Fischer, W. Mueller, M. Goebel: Virtual Reality Arthroscopy Training Simulator. Computers in Biology and Medicine, Special Issue on Virtual Reality for Medicine, December 1994.Google Scholar