When I began working on my technique in 1985,I was unaware that Dr.Ichiro Okutsu in Japan and Dr.John Agee in California were both working on similar goals at approximately the same time.Through trial and error of different approaches,a major breakthrough for the development of a slotted cannula came sometime in late 1986.After 4–5 months of persistent practice on cadavers,the procedure was completed in May 1987 and it was first applied to a patient later in September of thesameyear.Afterwards,there were continuous efforts for the improvement of this procedure.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Chow JCY (1990) Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Release — Clinical Results of 149 Cases; Presented at the 9th Annual AANA Meeting, Orlando, FL, April 26–29Google Scholar
- 4.Agee JM, Tortsua RD, Palmer CA, Berry C (1990) Endoscopic Release of the Carpal Tunnel: A Prospective Randomized Multicenter Study; Presented at the 45th Annual Meeting of the American Society of the Hand, Toronto Canada, September 24–27Google Scholar
- 5.Caffee HH (1979) Anomalous Thenar Muscle and Median Nerve: A Case Report; J Hand Surg; 4:446Google Scholar
- 6.Ogden J (1972) An Unusual Branch of the Median Nerve; JBJS;54-A(8)Google Scholar
- 7.Papathanassiou BT (1968) A Variant of the Motor Branch of the Median Nerve in the Hand JBJS [Br];50:156Google Scholar
- 8.Lanz U (1977) Anatomical Variations of the Median Nerve in the Carpal Tunnel; J Hand Surg [AM];2:44Google Scholar
- 11.Taleisnik J (1973) The Palmar Cutaneous Branch of the Median Nerve and the Approach to the Carpal Tunnel; JBJS [Am]; 55: 1212–7Google Scholar
- 12.Kessler I (1969) Unusual Distribution of the Median Nerve at the Wrist; Clin Orth & Rel Res 67:124–126Google Scholar
- 14.Shimizu K, Iwasaki R, Hoshikawa H, Yamamuro T (1988) Entrapment Neuropathy of the Palmer Cutaneous Branch of the Median Nerve by the Fascia of Flexor Digitorum Superficialis; J Hand Surg 13A:581–3Google Scholar
- 15.Enger WD, Gmeiner JG (1980) Palmar Cutaneous Branch of the Ulnar Nerve; J Hand Surg 5:26Google Scholar
- 17.Shrewsbury MM, Johnson RK, Ousterhout DK (1972) The Palmaris Brevis-A Reconsideration of Its Anatomy and Possible Function; JBJS [Am];54:344–8Google Scholar
- 18.Viegas S, Pollard A, Kaminksi K (1992) Carpal Arch Alteration and Related Clinical Status After Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Release; J Hand Surg; 17A:1012–6Google Scholar
- 19.Garcia-Elias M, Sanches-Freijo J, Salo J, Lluch A (1992) Dynamic Changes of the Transverse Carpal Arch During Flexion-Extension of the Wrist: Effects of Sectioning the Transverse Carpal Ligament; J Hand Surg 17A:1017–9Google Scholar
- 21.Seradge H, Seradge E (1989) Piso-Triquetral Pain Syndrome After Carpal Tunnel Release; Journal of Hand Surgery 14A: 858–862Google Scholar