Antiangiogenesis, Anti-VEGF(R) and Outlook
Tumor angiogenesis and antiangiogenesis has moved from an exotic research topic into clinical practice defining a new and promising avenue of targeted cancer therapy. Starting with a historical perspective on tumor angiogenesis, this review provides the basic concepts and classification of angiogenesis inhibition. Focusing primarily on vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), the biological activity and regulation of the gene expression of VEGF, its isoforms, and the receptors are summarized. Furthermore, naturally occurring modulators are listed, an overview on angiogenesis inhibitors in clinical trails is provided, and finally a brief outlook is given on this fascinating and rapidly evolving field of oncology.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carmeliet P, Moons L, Luttun A, Vincenti V, Compernolle V, De Mol M, Wu Y, Bono F, Devy L, Beck H, Scholz D, Acker T, DiPalma T, Dewerchin M, Noel A, Stalmans I, Barra A, Blacher S, Vandendriessche T, Ponten A, Eriksson U, Plate KH, Foidart JM, Schaper W, Charnock-Jones DS, Hicklin DJ, Herbert JM, Collen D, Persico MG (2001) Synergism between vascular endothelial growth factor and placental growth factor contributes to angiogenesis and plasma extravasation in pathological conditions. Nat Med 7:575–583PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Compernolle V, Brusselmans K, Acker T, Hoet P, Tjwa M, Beck H, Plaisance S, Dor Y, Keshet E, Lupu F, Nemery B, Dewerchin M, Van Veldhoven P, Plate K, Moons L, Collen D, Carmeliet P (2002) Loss of HIF-2alpha and inhibition of VEGF impair fetal lung maturation, whereas treatment with VEGF prevents fatal respiratory distress in premature mice. Nat Med 8:702–710PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Folkman J (1971b) Tumor angiogenesis: therapeutic implications. N Engl J Med 18285:1182–1186Google Scholar
- He Y, Karpanen T, Alitalo K (2004) Role of lymphangiogenic factors in tumor metastasis. Biochim Biophys Acta 41654:3–12Google Scholar
- Hurwitz H, Fehrenbacher L, Novotny W, Cartwright T, Hainsworth J, Heim W, Berlin J, Baron A, Griffing S, Holmgren E, Ferrara N, Fyfe G, Rogers B, Ross R, Kabbinavar F (2004) Bevacizumab plus irinotecan, fluorouracil, and leucovorin for metastatic colorectal cancer. N Engl J Med 3350:2335–2342CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Karkkainen MJ, Haiko P, Sainio K, Partanen J, Taipale J, Petrova TV, Jeltsch M, Jackson DG, Talikka M, Rauvala H, Betsholtz C, Alitalo K (2004) Vascular endothelial growth factor C is required for sprouting of first lymphatic vessels from embryonic veins. Nat Immunol 5:74–80PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Matsumoto T, Claesson-Welsh L (2001) VEGF receptor signal transduction. Sci STKE 2001 Dec 11: RE21Google Scholar
- Park JE, Chen HH, Winer J, Houck KA, Ferrara N (1994) Placenta growth factor. Potentiation of vascular endothelial growth factor bioactivity, in vitro and in vivo, and high affinity binding to Flt-1 but not to Flk-1/KDR. J Biol Chem 14269:25646–25654Google Scholar