A Reliable Message Delivery Protocol for Mobile Agents
The abstractions and protocol mechanisms that form the basis for inter-agent communications can significantly impact the overall design and effectiveness of Mobile Agent systems. We present the design and performance analysis of a reliable communication mechanism for Mobile Agent systems. Our protocols are presented in the context of a Mobile Agent system called AGNI . We have developed AGNI communication mechanisms that offer reliable peer-to-peer communications, and that are integrated with our agent location tracking infrastructure to enable efficient, failure-resistant networking among highly mobile systems. We have analyzed the design parameters of our protocols using an in-situ simulation approach with validation through measurement of our prototype implementation in real distributed systems. Our system assumptions are simple and general enough to make our results applicable to other Agent systems that may adopt our protocols and/or design principles.
KeywordsMobile Agent Location Manager Congestion Window Message Delivery Mobile Agent System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bakre, A., Badrinath, B.R.: I-TCP: Indirect TCP for Mobile Hosts. Technical Report DCS-TR-314, Rutgers University (October 1994)Google Scholar
- 2.Cabri, G., Leornardi, L., Zambonelli, F.: Coordination in Mobile Agent Systems. Technical Report DSI-97-24, Universita’ di Modena (October 1997)Google Scholar
- 3.Jacobson, V.: Congestion Avoidance and Control. In: Proceedings ACM SIGCOMM, August 1988, pp. 157–173 (1988)Google Scholar
- 4.Murphy, A., Picco, G.P.: Reliable Communication for Highly Mobile Agents. In: Agent Systems and Architectures/Mobile Agents (ASA/MA) 1999, October 1999, pp. 141–150 (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Okoshi, T., Mochizuki, M., Tobe, Y., Tokuda, H.: MobileSocket: Session Layer Continuous Operation Support for Java Applications. Transactions of Information Processing Society of Japan 1(1) (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Ranganathan, M., Schaal, V., Galtier, V., Montgomery, D.: Mobile Streams: A Middleware for Reconfigurable Distributed Scripting. In: Agent Systems And Architectures/Mobile Agents 1999 (October 1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Mesquite Software. Csim-18 simulation library, http://www.mesquite.com
- 8.Richard Stevens, W.: TCPIP Illustrated, The Protocols, vol. 1. Addison-Welsley, Reading (1994)Google Scholar
- 9.van Steen, M., Homburg, P., Tanenbaum, A.S.: The Architectural Design of Globe: AWide-area Distributed System. Technical Report IR-422, Vrije University (March 1997)Google Scholar