CERA: Cluster-Based Energy Saving Algorithm to Coordinate Routing in Short-Range Wireless Networks
We propose a simple protocol that allows mobile nodes to autonomously create clusters to minimize the power consumption and route packets based on the clusters in the mixed wired/wireless network. Our proposed protocol, called Cluster-based Energy-saving Routing Algorithm (CERA) is implemented as two separate components: the intra-cluster data-dissemination protocol and the cluster routing protocol. Our protocol focuses on simplicity as well as sufficient robustness and self-recoverability to enable simple and fast node reconfiguration. Simulation results using ns-2 simulator show that, in general, the CERsA implementation allows up to 25% of energy saving while keeping the overhead extremely low.
KeywordsMobile Node Data Packet Neighbor Node Wireless Local Area Network Average Energy Consumption
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Leeper, D.G.: A long-term view of short-range wireless. IEEE Computer 34(6), 39–44 (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Corson, S., Macker, J.: Mobile ad hoc networking (MANET): Routing protocol performance issues and evaluation considerations. RFC 2501 (January 1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Kahn, J.M., Katz, R.H., Pister, K.S.J.: Next century challenges: Mobile networking for Smart Dust. In: ACM/IEEE Intl. Conf. on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom 1999) (August 1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Lin, C.R., Gerla, M.: Adaptive clustering for mobile wireless networks. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 15(7) (September 1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Cano, J.C., Manzoni, P.: A low power protocol to broadcast realtime data traffic in a clustered ad hoc network. In: Proceedings of Globecomm 2001, San Antonio, Texas, USA (November 2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Fall, K., Varadhan, K.: ns notes and document. The VINT Project. UC Berkeley, LBL, USC/ISI, and Xerox PARC (February 2000), Available at http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-documentation.html
- 8.Johnson, D.B., Maltz, D.A., Hu, Y.-C., Jetcheva, J.G.: The dynamic source routing protocol for mobile ad hoc networks, Internet Draft, MANET Working Group, draft-ietf-manet-dsr-04.txt, Work in progress (November 2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Feeney, L.: Investigating the energy consumption of an IEEE 802.11 network interface, Swedish Institute of Computer Science, Technical Report n. T99/11 (December 1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Cano, J.C., Manzoni, P.: A performance comparison of energy consumption for mobile ad hoc networks routing protocols. In: IEEE/ACM MASCOTS 2000: 8th International Symposium on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems (August 2000)Google Scholar