From Algorithm Graph Specification to Automatic Synthesis of FPGA Circuit: A Seamless Flow of Graphs Transformations
The control, signal and image processing applications are complex in terms of algorithms, hardware architectures and real-time/embedded constraints. System level CAD softwares are then useful to help the designer for prototyping and optimizing such applications. These tools are oftently based on design flow methodologies. This paper presents a seamless design flow which transforms a data dependence graph specifying the application into an implementation graph containing both data and control paths. The proposed approach follows a set of rules based on the RTL model and on mechanisms of synchronized data transfers in order to transform automatically the initial algorithmic graph into the implementation graph. This transformation flow is part of the extension of our AAA (Algorithm-Architecture Adequation) rapid prototyping methodology to support the optimized implementation of real-time applications on reconfigurable circuits. It has been implemented in SynDEx, a system level CAD software tool that supports AAA.
KeywordsHardware Implementation Graph Transformation Data Path Factorization Node Algorithm Graph
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Edwards, S., Lavagno, L., Lee, E.A., Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, A.: Design of embedded systems: formal models, validation, and synthesis. In: Proc. of IEEE, March 1997, vol. 85(3) (1997)Google Scholar
- 2.Grandpierre, T., Lavarenne, C., Sorel, Y.: Optimized rapid prototyping for real-time embedded heterogeneous multiprocessors. In: CODES 1999 7th Intl. Workshop on Hardware/Software Co-Design, Rome (May 1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Kaouane, L., Akil, M., Sorel, Y., Grandpierre, T.: A methodology to implement real-time applications on reconfigurable circuits. In: ERSA 2003, Intl. Conference on Engineering of Reconfigurable Systems and Algorithms, Las vegas, USA (June 2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Dias, A.F., Lavarenne, C., Akil, M., Sorel, Y.: Optimized implementation of real-time image processing algorithms on field programmable gate arrays. In: Proc. of the 4th Intl. Conference on Signal Processing, Beijing (October 1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Gajski, D., Vahid, F.: Specification and design of embedded hardware-software systems. In: IEEE Design & Test of Computers, pp. 53–67 (Spring 1995)Google Scholar
- 7.Kaouane, L., Akil, M., Sorel, Y., Grandpierre, T.: An automated design flow for optimized implementation of real-time image processing applications on FPGA. In: Eurocon 2003, Intl. Conference on computer as a tool, Ljubljana, Slovenia (September 2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Grandpierre, T., Sorel, Y.: From algorithm and architecture specifications to automatic generation of distributed real-time executives: a seamless flow of graphs transformations. In: MEMOCODE 2003, Intl. Conference on Formal Methods and Models for Codesign, Mont Saint-Michel, France (June 2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Vodisek, R., Akil, M., Gailhard, S., Zemva, A.: Automatic Generation of VHDL code for SynDEx v6 software. In: Electro technical and Computer Science conference, Portoroz, Slovenia (September 2001)Google Scholar