Fully Parameterized Discrete Wavelet Packet Transform Architecture Oriented to FPGA
The present paper describes a fully parameterized Discrete Wavelet Packet Transform (DWPT) architecture based on a folded Distributed Arithmetic implementation, which makes possible to design any kind of wavelet bases. The proposed parameterized architecture allows different CDF wavelet coefficient with variable bit precision (data input and output size, and coefficient length). Moreover, by combining different blocks in cascade, we can expand as many complete stages (wavelet packet levels) as we require. Our architecture need only two FIR filters to calculate various wavelet stages simultaneously, and specific VIRTEX family resources (SRL16E) have been instantiated to reduce area and increase frequency operation. Finally, a DWPT implementation for CDF(9,7) wavelet coefficients is synthesized on VIRTEX-II 3000-6 FPGA for different precisions.
KeywordsDiscrete Wavelet Transform Wavelet Packet Wavelet Packet Transform Quadrature Mirror Filter Distribute Arithmetic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Trenas, M. A., Lopez, J., Hongyi, C.: A Configurable Architecture for the Wavelet Packet Transform. IEE Electron Letters, 499–500 (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Hilton, M.L.: Wavelet and Wavelet Packet Compression of Electrocardiograms. Technical Report TR9505, Department of Computer Science, University of South Carolina (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Coifman, R., Meyer, Y., Quake, S., Wickerhauser, V.: Signal Processing an Compression with Wave Packets. Numerical Algorithms Research Group, Yale University (1990)Google Scholar
- 5.Croiser, A., Esteban, D.J., Levilion, M.E., Rizo, V.: Digital Filter for PCM Encoded Signals. U.S. Patent 3 777 130 (1973)Google Scholar
- 7.LB_2DFDWT – Line-Based Programmable Forward DWT, AllianceCoreTM (2001) Google Scholar
- 9.Mallat, S.: Multifrequency Channel Decompositions. IEEE Trans. On Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing 37(12) (1989)Google Scholar