Performance and Area Modeling of Complete FPGA Designs in the Presence of Loop Transformations
Selecting which program transformations to apply when mapping computations to FPGA-based architectures leads to prohibitively long design exploration cycles. An alternative is to develop fast, yet accurate, performance and area models to understand the impact and interaction of the transformations. In this paper we present a combined analytical performance and area modeling for complete FPGA designs in the presence of loop transformations. Our approach takes into account the impact of input/output memory bandwidth and memory interface resources, often the limiting factor in the effective implementation of these computations. Our preliminary results reveal that our modeling is very accurate allowing a compiler tool to quickly explore a very large design space resulting in the selection of a feasible high-performance design.
KeywordsMemory Access Area Modeling Loop Nest Synthesis Tool FPGA Device
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Park, J., Diniz, P.: Synthesis of Memory Access Controller for Streamed Data Applications for FPGA-based Computing Engines. In: Proc. of the 14th Intl. Symp. on System Synthesis (ISSS 2001), IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Diniz, P., Park, J.: Automatic synthesis of data storage and contol structures for FPGA-based computing machines. In: Proc. IEEE Symp. on FPGAs for Custom Computing Machines (FCCM 2000), IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.(Virtex 2.5v FPGA product specification. ds003(v2.4)) Xilinx, Inc. (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.So, B., Hall, M., Diniz, P.: A compiler approach to fast hardware design space exploration for fpga systems. In: Proc. of the 2001 ACM Conference on Programming Language Design and Implementation (PLDI 2000), ACM Press, New York (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Kathail, V., Aditya, S., Schreiber, R., Rau, B., Cronquist, D., Sivaraman, M.: PICO: Automatically designing custom computers. IEEE Computer (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Bakshi, A., Prasanna, V., Ledeczi, A.: Milan: A model based integrated simulation framework for design of embedded systems. In: Proc. of the ACM Workshop on Languages, Compilers, and Tools for Embedded Systems (LCTES 2001) (2001)Google Scholar