A VHDL Library to Analyse Fault Tolerant Techniques
- 1.1k Downloads
This work presents an initiative to teach the basis of fault tolerance in digital systems design in undergraduate and graduate courses in electrical and computer engineering. The approach is based on a library of characteristic circuits related to fault tolerance techniques which has been implemented using a Hardware Description Language (VHDL). Due to the properties of the design tools associated to these languages, this approach allows with ease: (1) to implement faults tolerant digital systems; (2) to d etermine the behaviour of system when faults are presented; (3) to evaluate the additional resources and response time linked to any fault tolerance technique in the laboratory.
KeywordsFault Detector Digital System Cyclic Code Arithmetic Code Hardware Redundancy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The Joint Task Force on Computing Curricula IEEE Computer Society ACM Computing Curricula 2001. Computer Engineering Main Report. October 25, (2002) www.eng.auburn.edu/ece/CCCE/MainReport/MainReport.PDF
- 2.Johnson, B.W.: Design and Analysis of Fault-Tolerant Digital Systems. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Reading (1989)Google Scholar
- 3.Lala, P.K.: Self-Checking and Fault-Tolerant Digital Design. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, San Francisco (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Pradhan, D.K.: Fault-Tolerant Computer Systems Design. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Shooman, M.L.: Reliability of Computer Systems and Networks: Fault Tolerance, Analysis and Design. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (2001)Google Scholar