Integrating Quality of Service into Database Systems
Quality of Service (QoS) management has attracted a lot of research interests in the last decade, mainly in the fields of telecommunication networks and multimedia systems. With the recent advance in e-commerce deployment, it clearly appears that today’s web applications will require the integration of QoS mechanisms to specify, declare and support the different service levels they can provide. Such mechanisms should therefore be integrated in the different components of the core technology and more specifically in database systems. In this paper, we present an approach to push QoS inside database systems. This approach integrates QoS requirements into distributed query processing and considers also the dynamic properties of the system. We propose a query optimization strategy where multiple goals may be considered with separate cost models.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bochmann, G.v., Kerhervé, B., Lutfiyya, H., Salem, M.M., Ye, H.: Introducing QoS to Electronic Commerce Applications. In: Second International Symposium, ISEC 2001, Hong Kong, China, April 26–28, pp. 138–147 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Nguyen, K.K., Fetjah, F., Kerhervé, B.: Quality of Service Information Base (QoSIB) Manager for Electronic Commerce Applications. In: Poster presented at the CITR Annual Conference (August 2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Ye, H., Kerhervé, B., Bochmann, G.v.: QoS-aware distributed query processing. In: DEXA Workshop on Query Processing in Multimedia Information Systems (QPMIDS), Florence, Italy, September 1–3 (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Ye, H., Kerhervé, B., Bochmann, G.v., Oria, V.: Pushing Quality of Service Information and Requirements into Global Query Optimization. In: The Seventh International Database Engineering and Applications Symposium (IDEAS 2003), Hong Kong, China, July 16–18 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Ye, H.: Integrating Quality of Service Information and Requirements in a Distributed Query Processing Environment, Ph.D. thesis, University of Montreal (May 2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Menasce, D.A., Almeida, V.A.F.: Scaling for E-Business Technologies, Models, Performance and Capacity Planning. Prentice Hall, Canada (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhu, Q., Sun, Y., Motheramgari, S.: Developing Cost Models with Qualitative Variables for Dynamic Multidatabase Environment. In: Proceedings of IEEE Int’l Conf. On Data Eng (ICDE 2000), San Diego, February 29-March 3, pp. 413–424 (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Du, W., Shan, M.-C., Dayal, U.: Reducing Multidatabase Query Response Time by Tree Balancing. In: SIGMOD Conference, pp. 293–303 (1995)Google Scholar
- 11.Ye, H., Kerhervé, B., Bochmann, G.v.: Revisiting Join Site Selection in Distributed Database Systems. In: International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing, Klagenfurt, Austria, August 26–29 (2003)Google Scholar