A Study on Performance Evaluation of the Liveness Detection for Various Fingerprint Sensor Modules
Although biometric information is known to be unique and unreproducible, a recent research reported that certain fingerprint sensor modules can be spoofed by artificial fingers. This study extends the previous research by testing more various fingerprint sensors and evaluating their capability of liveness detection in a quantitative way. The purpose of this research is to propose a framework of performance evaluation, evaluation indices, and reporting of evaluation results for fingerprint sensor modules. A preliminary experiment tested four commercial fingerprint sensor modules each of which is a representative of a different sensing mechanism such as optical, semiconductor, thermal, or tactile against two artificial fingerprints, gummy fingers and silicon-rubber fingers. The results of this research can be utilized to improve the methods of the liveness detection of fingerprint recognition systems.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Matsumoto, T., Matsumoto, H., Yamada, K., Hoshino, S.: Impact of Artificial Gummy Fingers on Fingerprint System. In: Optical Security and Counterfeit Deterrence Techniques IV, vol. 4677, pp. 275–289 (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Willis, D., Lee, M.: Six Biometric Devices Point The finger at security, online at http://www.networkcomputing.com
- 3.von der Putte, T., Keuning, J.: Biometrical Fingerprint Recognition: Don’t Get Your Fingers Burned, online at http://cryptome.org/fake-prints.htm
- 4.Thalheim, L., Krissler, J., Zigler, P.M.: Body Check Biometric Access Devices and Programs put to the Test, online at http://www.heise.de/ct/english/02/11/114/
- 5.Ahn, D.: Study on fingerprint recognition algorithm based on cliques and its performance evaluation system, Ph D dissertation Submitted to Inha University (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.BioIS Project, BIOIS Study Comparative Study of biometric Identification system, Public Final Report (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Mario, D., Maltoni, D., Cappelli, R., Wayman, J., Jain, A.K.: FVC 2002: fingerprint verification competition. In: Proceedings 16th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, vol. 3, pp. 811–814 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Mansfield, T., Kelly, G., Chandler, D., Kane, J.: Biometric Product Testing Final Report, CESG/BWG (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Mansfiled, A.J., Wayman, J.L.: Best Practices in Testing and Reporting Performance of Biometric Device Version 2.0, NPL Report (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Schuckers, S., Hornak, L., Norman, T., Derakhshani, R., Parthasaradhi, S.: Issues for Liveness Detection in Biometrics. In: Proceedings of the Biometric Consortium Conference, vol. 1 (2002)Google Scholar