Mining Spatial Rules by Finding Empty Intervals in Data
Most rule induction algorithms including those for association rule mining use high support as one of the main measures of interestingness. In this paper we follow an opposite approach and describe an algorithm, called Optimist, which finds all largest empty intervals in data and then transforms then into the form of multiple-valued rules. It is demonstrated how this algorithm can be applied to mining spatial rules where data involves both geographic and thematic properties. Data preparation (spatial feature generation), data analysis and knowledge postprocessing stages were implemented in the SPIN! spatial data mining system where this algorithm is one of its components.
KeywordsAssociation Rule Rule Induction Empty Interval Thematic Property Enumeration District
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Savinov, A.A.: Application of multi-dimensional fuzzy analysis to decision making. In: Roy, R., Furuhashi, T., Chawdhry, P.K. (eds.) Advances in Soft Computing — Engineering Design and Manufacturing. Springer, London (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Savinov, A.A.: An algorithm for induction of possibilistic set-valued rules by finding prime disjunctions. In: Suzuki, Y., Ovaska, S.J., Furuhashi, T., Roy, R., Dote, Y. (eds.) Soft computing in industrial applications. Springer, London (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Liu, B., Ku, L.-P., Hsu, W.: Discovering Interesting Holes in Data. In: Proceedings of Fifteenth International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI 1997), Nagoya, Japan, August 23-29, pp. 930–935 (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Ku, L.-P., Liu, B., Hsu, W.: Discovering Large Empty Maximal Hyper-rectangles in Multi-dimensional Space. Technical Report, Department of Information Systems and Computer Science (DCOMP), National University of Singapore (1997)Google Scholar
- 10.May, M., Savinov, A.: An Architecture for the SPIN! Spatial Data Mining Platform. In: Proc. New Techniques and Technologies for Statistics, NTTS 2001, pp. 467–472 (2001), EurostatGoogle Scholar
- 11.May, M., Savinov, A.: An integrated platform for spatial data mining and interactive visual analysis. In: Data Mining 2002, Bologna, Italy, September 25-27, pp. 51–60 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Andrienko, G., Andrienko, N., Savinov, A.: Choropleth Maps: Classification revisited. In: Proceedings ICA 2001, Beijing, China, vol. 2, pp. 1209–1219 (20001)Google Scholar