Exploring the Catallactic Coordination Approach for Peer-to-Peer Systems
Efficient discovery and resource allocation is one of the challenges of current Peer-to-Peer systems. In centralized approaches, the user requests can be matched to the fastest, cheapest or most available resource. This approach, however, shows scalability limits. In this paper, we explore the catallactic coordination as a decentralized economic approach for resource allocation in peer-to-peer networks. The economic model of the catallaxy is based on the self-interested maximization of utility and the negotiation of prices between agents. We evaluate the feasibility of our approach by means of simulations and compare the proposed system with a centralized baseline approach. Our results indicate that while in the catallacic approach the number of control messages exchanged between the peers grows due to the negotiation process, its service provision rate is fairly constant in different dynamic environments.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Buyya, R., Abramson, D., Giddy, J.: A Case for Economy Grid Architecture for Service-Oriented Grid Computing. In: Proc. 10th IEEE International Heterogeneous Computing Workshop (HCW 2001), San Francisco (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.CatNet project. CATNET, http://research.ac.upc.es/catnet
- 3.Eymann, T., Padovan, B.: The Catallaxy as a new Paradigm for the Design of Information Systems. In: Proceedings of The World Computer Congress 2000 of the International Federation for Information Processing(2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Freenet (2003), The Freenet home page, http://www.freenetproject.org
- 5.Gnutella (2003), The Gnutella home page, http://www.gnutella.com
- 6.Grid Computing and Distributed Systems (GRIDS) Laboratory. GRIDBUS Project. The University of Melbourne, Australia, 2002-11-28, http://www.gridbus.org/
- 7.Hayek, F.A., Bartley, W.W., Klein, P.G., Caldwell, B.: The collected works of F.A. Hayek. University of Chicago Press, Chicago (1989)Google Scholar
- 8.JavaSim Project. JavaSim. Ohio State University EEng Dept. 2 A.D.-11-29, http://www.javasim.org/
- 9.Napster (2003), The Napster home page, http://opennap.sourceforge.net/
- 10.Pruitt, D.G.: Negotiation Behavior. Academic Press, New York (1981)Google Scholar
- 11.SETI@HOME, http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/