Generating High Quality Schedules for a Spacecraft Memory Downlink Problem
This work introduces a combinatorial optimization problem called Mars Express Memory Dumping Problem (Mex-Mdp), which arises in the European Space Agency program Mars Express. It concerns the generation of high quality schedules for the spacecraft memory downlink problem. Mex-Mdp is an NP-hard combinatorial problem characterized by several kinds of constraints, such as on-board memory capacity, limited communication windows over the downlink channel, deadlines and ready times on the observation activities. The contribution of this paper is twofold: on one hand it provides a CSP model of a real problem, and on the other it presents a set of metaheuristic strategies based on local and randomized search which are built around the constraint-based model of the problem. The algorithms are evaluated on a benchmark set distilled from ESA documentation and the results are compared against a lower bound of the objective function.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cesta, A., Oddi, A., Cortellessa, G., Policella, N.: Automating the Generation of Spacecraft Downlink Operations in Mars Express: Analysis, Algorithms and an Interactive Solution Aid. Technical Report MEXAR-TR-02-10 (Project Final Report), ISTC-CNR [PST], Italian National Research Council (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Resende, M., Ribeiro, C.: Greedy Randomized Adaptive Search Procedures. In: Glover, F., Kochenberger, G. (eds.) Handbook of Metaheuristics, pp. 219–249. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Lenstra, J.K.: Notes from Berkeley, July 11 (1980); Personal Communication (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Tsang, E.: Foundation of Constraint Satisfaction. Academic Press, London (1993)Google Scholar
- 11.Cesta, A., Cortellessa, G., Oddi, A., Policella, N.: A CSP-based Interactive Decision Aid for Space Mission Planning. In: Proceedings of AI*IA 2003. LNCS (LNAI), Springer, Heidelberg (2003)Google Scholar